Japanese Maple died, but part lives on! How to salvage it?

(Caitlin) Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi JM folks!

My son gave me this gorgeous Japanese Maple for my birthday, but then I messed up, didn't give it enough water, and it died (I thought). I was so sad, but stuck it in a semi-sheltered spot that was hit by the sprinklers and forgot about it.

Sure enough, come spring, it is pushing suckers. They are two different colors, which from my research makes me think that the red branches are coming from the grafted-on tree and the green from the root system it was grafted onto.

What do I do with this tree now? I've ruined the truly beautiful form of the original tree (sob), but this has sentimental value to me and I want to salvage it somehow. Can I make it into a multitrunk tree? Should I tie the suckers to the original tree and use the original dead tree as the "stake" for them? Can I make this into a really cool multicolored JM by leaving both the types of suckers and making them part of the tree?

Any insight you JM-folk could give me would be wonderful. =D
Thanks!
Wifeygirl

Thumbnail by Wifeygirl Thumbnail by Wifeygirl
Milford, DE

I would cut off the dead part and remove the branches with green leaves (root stock). I like to remove these branches by putting a gentle down pressure where the branch intersects the trunk and keep pushing downward until the branch rips off of the trunk trying to make as small as you can rip in the trunk (try putting your thumb under the branch at stem to limit damage). From my experience I have found by doing this you will also remove the collar of where hidden bud (eyes) reside. Cutting the branch off near the trunk without removing the collar will allow for the hidden eyes to reappear and make it harder to remove the branch later.

Then I would take the strongest branch and stake it up as best as possible. It is easier to stake the branches upward while the branches are still soft.

Dave

(Caitlin) Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for your reply, davesnursery!

So where would you cut off the dead part? Right above the black broken branch nub (in the second picture)?

So I'm basically starting over to try to form a new tree from a single branch? Should I cut off the other red branches, the ones I'm not staking?

Will this thing ever look nice, do you think?
Thanks!

Milford, DE

only cut off the dead part above the red branch. I would leave all red branches on just in case something happens to the one you are staking. Yes you are starting over. Or maybe you don't stake the plant and let it grow in a bush form and trim the plant as it grows to maintain a rounder plant instead of an upright. I believe all maples look nice in their own right. If the plant survives and gets larger you will notice the crook in the trunk where you staked the branch. It is a pretty red color strap leaf so maybe that in itself will be the hero of the plant when bigger.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

I agree with Dave - did the same with a Beni Kawa and it came back fast. good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.