Deer resistant annuals?

Northwestern, NJ

The deer in my area eat EVERYTHING and I'm looking for suggestions of deer resistant annuals that I can mix in with my perennials in my cottage-type gardens.

I've had good luck with marigolds and snap dragons but not much else (so far).

Any suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you!
Alison

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

What about Larkspur? Down here in TN, we can't grow Delphiniums - it's just too hot and humid for them. But larkspur is a much less persnickety "cousin" to the delphs, and it's very pretty.

Also, I think snapdragons are pretty deer-resistant and should do well in NJ.

A few other suggestions that are fairly unattractive to deer and would fit in a cottage garden:
Heliotrope
Flowering tobacco (especially the older, fragrant varieties such as Nicotiana sylvestris)
Foxglove (some are biennials and some are perennials, but in my garden, they are sometimes annuals :-)
Cleome

Northwestern, NJ

Thanks Terry! I'll definitely look for those! Do you know if larkspur blooms all summer? I'm looking for annuals that will choke out the weeds around my perennials (note my user name :) and give the gardens some extra color for most of the summer.

Tobyhanna, PA(Zone 5a)

I have trouble with both deer and groundhogs!

Last year I planted some annual salvia (blue/white) and nothing bothered them.
I've heard zinnias are pretty deer resistant.
The deer leave my annual poppies alone, but the groundhogs love them.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I don't think the larkspur will bloom all year, even in your climate--they act more like a short-lived perennial, but they are pretty when they are in bloom. They also tend to re-seed, so that can make them an easy addition to your garden, since they'll come up every year. Ditto for the cleome.

Northwestern, NJ

PAgirl, the deer have eaten my annual poppies. At least, I always thought it was deer. Maybe I have a ground hog problem and don't even know it!

I love salvia and didn't even think to try that. Definitely planting some of that where the deer can get it at it and see what happens!

And, Terry, I love that larkspur and cleome will re-seed. Easy additions are my favorite kind. :)

Great ideas, guys! Thank you!

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I just found this list for you looking to see if mimulus tigrinus (tiger monkey flower) was deer resistant. I grew some from seed this spring and I just got my first bloom, very cool flowers. So far the plants kind of look like a pansy plant. I also grow California poppies and the deer never eat them.

ANNUALS/BIENNIALS (deer resistant)
Ageratum
Alyssum
Candytuft
Forget-Me-Not
Four o'clock
Foxglove
Heliotrope
Larkspur
Lobelia
Marigold
Mimulus
Morning Glory
Moonflower
Nasturtium
Petunia
Poppy
Salvia
Snapdragon
Stocks
Sunflower
Sweet William
Tithonia
Scientific Name
Ageratum
Lobularia
Iberis
Myosotis
Mirabilis
Digitalis
Heliotropium
Delphinium
Lobelia
Tagetes
Mimulus
Ipomoea
Ipomoea
Tropaeolum
Petunia
Papaver
Salvia
Antirrhinum
Matthiola
Helianthus
Dianthus
Tithonia

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

We have lots of deer and I plant lots of annuals. These are the annual flowers the deer do not bother for me:

Celosia (all kinds)
Cleome
Cosmos
Zinnias
Gomphrena
Balsam
Castor Beans (for foilage) I like the red
Amaranth

Hope something there is helpful.

Rochester, NY(Zone 6a)

My property extends into woods so deer browsing in my gardens is a challenge. Previous lists are very helpful. I've also grown other deer "candy" flowers by bordering or interplanting them with deer resistant plants and herbs. They don't see well but seem to have a keen sense of smell and avoid fragrant plants Little margarine tubs with Irish Spring bar soap (original fragrance) tucked under leafy plants or adding some garlic, onion or chives is also helpful. Good luck.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

They also aren't too fond of plants with fuzzy stems and/or leaves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.