Trumpet vine.........in pot???

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

We are going to make a pergola this year. I would love to have a trumpet vine (or other climber) meandering on it. I was wondering if a trumpet vine would make it through the winter outside in a pot, or if it would have to be pruned back heavily and be in the g'house in some state of "dormancy". Do they NEED a dormant period? Someone on another group said that it would probably croak in a large pot if left outside. I don't care to plant it in the ground because of the good possibility it would spread and people in Alaska would have runners coming up in their yards. LOL I know trumpet vines are "kinda" invasive.

Someone suggested honeysuckle............any preferred cultivars of that? I suppose a hardy vine could be planted in the ground on the south side of the pergola on the other side of the cement footing/wall that is currently there.

I need to get a pic so you can see more of what I'm thinking.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I grow several varieties of honeysuckle and really like Red Trumpet honeysuckle. I've also grown trumpet vine on our chain-link fence. Yes, post a pic when you can.

Pittsburgh, PA

There is a non-invasive trumpet vine, a new cultivar, Indian Summer. The flowers are twice the size of the regular trumpet vine. The form is shrubby and vining.

This is the first year for mine, and I hope that It survives the winter.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

'Kudian' is the trademarked name for 'Indian Summer'. Campsis x tagliabuana 'Kudian'.

Campsis radicans is native to my area of the country and it grows vigorously. I'd be interested to try something more compact here. I love vines.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.