Basil

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

What is your favorite basils? I pretty much like all that I have tasted so far. My favorites are Thai and Lemon. Here I have 2 basil stems that I am rooting in my cloner.

Thumbnail by weeding
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

We are usually growing African Blue basil- bees love it the best. Curiously enough, I appear to have some seedlings coming up that I need to watch...there is also usually a red leaf basil allowed to grow for the color, or I grow a compact bush sweet basil, and my lime basils still reseed and I love it. My fav tho, I can't grow- the Sweet basil- something gets it before I do...have grown cinnamon basil- but dunno why its named that as I dont taste it. Ummm. Last I grow and like Spicy Globe basil.

I saw cinnamon basil at HD yesterday. I didn't buy it because I too think it does not taste like cinnamon. I must check out the lime basil.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I kinda think the cinnamon name is more for the color. Also have tried a columnar basil, slow start, but I loved the fragrance. It stayed fragrant even as a cutting for several weeks. Have left home so cant remember the name, chuckl. That was last year. I also have a Mexican Mint Marigold that I love for its deep lasting fragrance.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I have grown the Mexican Mint Marigold (Tagetes lucida) in my planter box and liked it. Spicy Globe is good.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I use more lemon thyme than lemon basil, I would send seeds for the lime, but it will be a month or so before I am home again...

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Same here. I love to steep lemon thyme in my sun tea.

I bought lemon thyme last week. i will try it in my next cup of tea.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

My cloner, chuckl. Think this is the blue basil, end of summer last year

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Love that Blue Basil. I need to look for it this year.

kittriana, I see we both like pop bottle growing.

Thumbnail by weeding
Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

My daughter refuses to prune, it would be bushier if she would, but she does pick cuttings, stix em deep and ends up with a bunch of the plants. Get The African Blue basil with the deep reddish/blue veins for the prettiest- we did get some that werent as deeply colored, but it doesn' t apparently seed true.
And Mason jars, and buckets, chuckl. PS- the bees even ignore the cinnamon basil.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2015 10:45 AM

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

I love the Spicy Globe variety for it's aroma and very ornamental appearance.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I have Spicy Globe. It's good.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

From what I understand the African Blue Basil is a sterile plant and does not seed. It must be propogated from cuttings. The bees DO love it! Mine was 4 feet tall and 4 feet wide until I broke the main stem trying to mow under it. :( bleh.... I'll buy another one next spring.
Lemon and Cinnamon basil grows like an invasive species here in Florida! I ripped it out like crazy. The whole neighborhood smelled wonderful for the remainder of the afternoon. I finally had some kids from the local school come dig up seedlings and sell them as a fundraiser for the Flower and Garden Show. Problem solved and easier for me! :)

Are the lemon and lime basils drastically different in taste? I have not had the lime before.

I have heard that the columnar basil is easy to root. I now have about 5 different basils now. How easy are the Spicy, Thai, Licorice and Lemon basil to propagate?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

All basils love to grow. Haven't seen any that refused - tho they do like the spring weather. I have to be home tho to get them going.
By the way, they cross pollinate without even a breeze..

This message was edited Oct 24, 2015 3:48 PM

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

If you have a semi healthy Thai and Lemon basil, they will re-seed everywhere (as will cinnamon basil) so you may not even have to worry about propogating at all. They'll do all the work for you.
It's funny that I can grow all othe odd flavored basils, but can't grown normal basil to save my life. Must be our tropical weather. I know basil can take heat and sun when watered, but maybe the overly moist humid weather we get kills off the normal basil?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Maybe because the sweet, genovese and compact box are more domestic than the flavored ones? Their leaves are more tender - have you noticed? They need more depth for roots too. I wonder if they would grow better treated like coleus? Hmmm, an experiment...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.