African Violets in my greenhouse

Copperas Cove, TX(Zone 8a)

I have several African Violets one which is an offspring from one that was given to my wife when her father passed away in '98 so it's at least 13+ years old and still blooming. I moved them out into my greenhouse this weekend which I think will afford them better light and humidity than while in the house but what I'm concerned with is the heat. I know that even though it's only mid March there are days when I go out to open it up in the morning and it's already 100+ degrees inside and I have the two vent windows open in the doors. Though also with the higher temps the humidity goes lower so I'm thinking of some large tubs filled with water would help to raise the humidity. Right now I still have quite a few of my other plants inside that I had inside over the winter waiting for them to look a bit better before I move back to the patio in the front. Once they're out the shelving can be used for the violets and the sides can be rolled up on the greenhouse to provide more air circulation. Any thoughts on the temperature/humidity requirements or my idea using the tubs of water to add humidity?

Chris

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Chris,
I don't have a greenhouse,but most violets will do very well in average room humidity,especially in the summer.I would think your greenhouse is probably at least that humid.If not, tubs of water,especially with a fan circulating would raise the humidity.

100 degrees in very high for violets and too much humidity at high temps can cause rot,so I would watch them closely.Also,if they are being exposed to an area outdoor plants have been grown in,you will have to be very diligent about pest control and diseases.

Lynn

Copperas Cove, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Lynn, I think then I'm going to have to come up with some way to circulate the air around especially when summer comes around. I have a small camp fan that is battery powered and I'm converting it to run from a larger 12V battery that I have a solar panel to charge but I think I'll need larger fans. I may have to run some extension cable from the house out to the greenhouse and use a much larger AC fan for this. Thanks for the reply

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Hopefully someone with a greenhouse can help you more.I think there is forum about that on DG.I know you can buy misting fans,but I have no idea what they cost.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.