Annuals for a color wheel circular flower bed

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm designing a 52' diameter bed with annuals done like a color wheel, with the six primary colors on the color wheel. The center will be white. I'd appreciate suggestions for annual flowers that are true colors, yellow, orange, red, purple, blue and green. Green is the most difficult. Has anyone grown lime green zinnias? How green are they?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi snapple-i grew a lime green zinnia once-yes it really was lime green. It didn't grow great for me because I live in Washington, and it was too cool that summer. I grew up in Ohio-plenty of heat there for zinnias! I just googled "green zinnia" I think it might have been the variety called 'Envy' but I didn't save the tag so I am not sure.
Also you might try Bells of Ireland, a completely different species.
Flowering tobacco some are lime green and should be easy in Ohio.
Also, if you are a reader-while searching for "green flowers' I came across a book by that name, published a few years ago, you might see if it is at your library.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

What are you going to use for true blue? Just curious. Actually, do you have your list for each color yet?

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

Although I never did it, I spent a winter contemplating a color wheel. I was going to use just foliage for the green part, I was thinking carrot tops would look nice all summer, lettuce would bolt. You could use broccoli or cabbage if you were doing the green/blue sub colors

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I've grown the green zinnia - Envy. To me it was more of a lime color.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

The green nicotiana is nice also, I grew it this year.
You may up using marigolds or some later season flower for the orange but consider lacing them with california poppies as they bloom earlier than anything else in my garden.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

I still haven't heard anything about long-lasting blue flowers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.