Prune Thyme

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

My thyme has not turned green yet. It has been cut back last fall and is cut back to about 8 inches. I would like to cut it back a little more--4 more inches. Please advise.
(hope it's not dead!)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Mine dies at the bottom in deep summer toward Fall, abut we dont prune properly, just layer and start new. Still mine is growing now and all winter. If a twig is pliant, it hasnt died. If the twig is dry and breaks, that part has died. We didnt get a freeze at home tho this winter is why its always outdoors.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

kittriana: thank you for your response. I am in zone 6b. Thyme should be okay up to zone 5, so it shouldn't be dead. I have it next to some rocks on the north side of the house in shade. It still should have made it. It grew like gangbusters all summer.

I would like to cut it back more than it is now: 8 inches to 4 inches. I don't want to kill it so was wondering if I could cut it back more.

Good to know about the brittle stems. Thanks.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

The depth of prune is always scary. I don't have pictures of my lemon thyme... what you might do, is snip half of it down and leave the other half as is. Luck.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, if it's "scary", I guess I'll just leave it. I have crocus in between my stepping stones. They could be seen better if the thyme was cut back.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Ahhh! I love crocus! Too hot here. Still its worth a try to find out at least in a small place?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Well now, that's a good Idea. I could just trim around where the crocus are and still have plenty of thyme left.
Hey, problem solved! Thanks! Why didn't I think of that! :)

Plus, it would be a leaning experience.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

:)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Home. My poor thyme has come back on stuff i pruned off last fall...

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the picture. A welcome sight!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.