tree peony side growth

Göppingen, Germany(Zone 7b)

Hi there,

I have a question about my tree peony. It's a shima daiijin, her second year in my garden, and the first few warm days sent her into racing mode ;-).

I'm not sure if I should be happy about those two ground shots near the main stem - I've read that the herbaceous root stock could send their own branches up, though I really think I've planted rather deep. So my question is: can I let them grow until I see what they truely are, or should I remove them quickly for not stealing energy from the tree part? Then again I'd hate to remove them and find out later that they were true shima daijiin shoots, as I really want this plant as big as it can get....

so, in one question: how dangerous can herbaceous shoots be for the tree?

Thumbnail by pmmGarak
Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I would wait-I think you will know in just a few weeks if this is from the rootstock or not-it should be obvious if the leaves look like the tree peony or not. they say if you planted deep the rootstock dies away and the tree peony makes its own roots, so hopefully this has already happened. If not just get rid of them then.
Keep us informed.

Thumbnail by Pistil

From what I see now, as the leaves are starting to unfold, I'm rather convinced the two shoots are not herbaceous - real life looks more obvious than the picture - thank you for cooling down my nerves, Pistil!

Thumbnail by pmmGarak

This looks like lovely vigorous new growth from the tree peony-you may have a really nice show next month. Or maybe not-I have two tree peonies, each made only a few blooms that second year.

well, the new sprouts don't have buds, but the "old" ones have 6 on them - I only had two buds last year, and one died because we had a very dry spring and I didn't water enough (too much fungus panic?), so I'm quite positive that the "show" will top last year's event

So, the show has started.

unfortunately, after weeks of dry sunny weather, we have rain since the first of may - lots of it. and the forecast says: no really dry day for another week. I consider that sabotage.

Thumbnail by pmmGarak Thumbnail by pmmGarak Thumbnail by pmmGarak Thumbnail by pmmGarak

Very nice! Both the plant and the flowers look great. I especially like the macro photo. Mine are blooming too-I will try for good photos tomorrow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.