To move or not to move Pandamus

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

I grew this Pandanus oblatus from seed in 2007. At first it grew well on site but it is on sandy soil and despite applications of manure it looks discoloured and is growing very slowly now. Should I try to move it when it is almost 6ft/2m but only just forming a trunk?

The leaves when they first emerge are a healthy green but they then discolour progressively. It has been here for about 5 years and when I first planted it it was about 1/2 meters tall so it has grown some.

Do Pandanus move well when they are so large(I would wait for the rains) ?

Thumbnail by Mvule Thumbnail by Mvule Thumbnail by Mvule
Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

Here is a photo Pandanus furcatus that I grew from 2006. It is grown rapidly (it is about 20ft tall with a good size trunk) and looks very lush though I planted it in an obscure part of the garden so is not much seen by anyone a part from me!

I am very pleased with it but I would love my P. oblatus to look the same.

Thumbnail by Mvule
noonamah, Australia

I've got several species of Pandanus, such as P. spiralis, P. tectorius, P. aquaticus, P. basdowi, P. amaryllifolius, P. dubius, plus a few unknowns.

Generally they're pretty tough plants. They can live in swamps which become bone dry during the dry season. But P. oblatus is a rainforest species so whilst it is probably also fairly drought tolerant, dry conditions would stress it more. I've seen that sort of discoloration in other Pandanus when they were in dry poor soil conditions.

I haven't moved them that large, mainly because they're too prickly anyway. But during the wet season it shouldn't be a problem for them. Reduce the leaves, which you'd have to do to be able to handle it, put it into some good organic soil and keep it moist.

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

Thank you Tropicbreeze. I'll give it a try and keep my fingers crossed. I have to grow pretty much anything interesting from seed so it is a long game and I only have the one plant!

What are the best Pandanus for aerial roots? My furcatus does not really have them.

Also do they need male and female plats to set seed and I only have one of each!

Thank you for your advise!

noonamah, Australia

One of my favourites is P. basedowii, I've got photos of it in Plantfiles:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/182173/

One I would love to have is P. brosimos, now they really have large prop roots, Plantfiles again:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/185582/

Unfortunately brosimos would have no hope here, it's high altitude tropical and I'm lowland. So, mild to cool temperatures with constant high humidity and rainfall. I don't think Arua would be at a high enough altitude for it either. Although, if you do get the chance to try some please keep me informed.

P. tectorius has good stilt roots, although it's one of the most wide spread Pandanus so might be a bit variable. Probably a good one for you.

Pandanus often produce a lot of pups, especially if the trunk gets a bit damaged. Those can be removed and propagated. Wrapping the base of the pups in some moist material and keeping damp should encourage some root growth. Then they can be removed and potted up until they get established. One of my NOID ones was a pup I took without any roots and it's done okay. To get viable seed you need both a male and a female plant. So best bet is getting pups.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.