Storing Dried Corn?

(Zone 5a)

Yesterday we went to the lumber store and they had dried corn on the cob. I grabbed some. I had been wanting to experiment to see if the Jays would take to it. It would be cheaper than peanuts if they did. We went through about 100 pounds this winter.

As winter is nearly done, I am not sure it would all get eaten. Do you think dried corn would store ok in the freezer? Or would just room temp. be all right until next winter?

Thanks. :)

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Should store OK as long as it is cool and dry. Don't think Jays will be interested in it though, more for something like Wild Turkeys.

Resin

(Zone 5a)

Thank you, Resin.

I got the idea from a book, Sally's Backyard Birds. She strung corn cobs all along a clothes line and the Jays went nuts for them. I tried finding pictures on line, but sadly, she's deceased now and her site was taken down. There is a blog of the same name as the book, but it's a different Sally.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I wonder if she was using moist sweetcorn, rather than dried cobs?

Resin

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I agree with Resin; I don't think Jays eat dried corn on the cob.

My Jays go through lots of peanuts as well. I buy unsalted, unshelled peanuts in various places. The cheapest (and best) ones are unsalted roasted peanuts from Costco; a 5 lb bag costs what 3 lb bag of peanuts (roasted or raw) does elsewhere. The birds don't care whether the peanuts are roasted or not

(Zone 5a)

I cannot find the book (Sigh, my library is getting too big...), but I was sure the corn was dried. She put it out in the winter months.

I set one in a platform, just to see what would happen. Both Saturday and Sunday we were gone much of the day, but saw something was eating it. After a days' absence, the Jays came back in force. When they were done with the peanuts, there they were eating off the cob. I tried getting a picture, but missed. I'll try again tomorrow.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Interesting! They didn't eat corn from the cobs I put out for the squirrels. I think raccoons ate most of it.

(Zone 5a)

Finally have a photo to share. My son took this. I have a really icky photo of a cardinal eating from a cob, but that belongs on the appallingly bad thread. :)

Grackles have been eating from the cobs, too, but that's not surprising. They have been hilarious with the in-shell peanuts, trying to shake the nuts out, but not getting any where.

Thumbnail by Chillybean
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Congrats to your son for the nice photo!

You're so lucky that Grackles don't eat your peanuts. I don't know whether they ever succeed in cracking them open, but the Grackles in my yard grab peanuts and fly away with them. Maybe they let the shells soften until they can open them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.