Anyone using Yongnuo controller and/or flash?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I just got the cheap/inexpensive alternative (Yongnuo 622c radio control and Yongnuo 565 flash) to Canon's speed-light system (600 EX-RT) or Pocket Wizard's newest controller (miniTT1 and flexTT5) and am finding some quirks I really don't understand or particularly like but it does save a boatload of money. I've had two Canon speed-lights for years and the first generation Pocket Wizards (all manual to where I had to go to each flash and set the power level - ARGH - seems so old fashioned now).

I ordered the 622 controllers (2 transceivers and 1 controller as a set from Amazon) and a Yongnuo 565 II speed-light a couple of weeks ago. One of my Canon speed-lights (430EX) can only be adjusted at the flash itself. What really gripes me is I thought I could control the 430 optically with the other Canon speed-light (580 EX II) using master/slave (which works by itself) but when I use the Yongnuo 622 controller it puts the 580 back into non master mode effectively making a 3 light system into a 2 light system. My solution was to order another 622 controller for the 3rd speed-light and am expecting it tomorrow.

I've tested this controller with all 3 speed-lights to see what it can do and what it can't. The odd thing is in manual flash mode, I can see the power levels change on the flash itself as I adjust it at the controller but when I try flash compensation in TTL mode, I never see it change on the flash. What is really odd is when I put the controller on the camera and take test shots in TTL mode and adjust EC, it works but again I never see it on the flash itself. That seems so strange. The zoom feature works well as expected. I have never tried HSS yet but may try it one day. The new Yongnuo flash does not have the HSS feature though while the Canon flash does.

Love to hear anyone's experiences with these controllers and flash.

Update - ordered another pair of 622 controllers last week so no more issue with 3 flashes. Also ordered another Yongnuo flash yesterday (568 which allows HSS) and it should be here tomorrow.

Another tidbit I found useful but haven't tested yet is putting the older trigger (PW original) in the hot shoe of the controller on the camera will or should allow using older flashes such as my ancient Vivitar 283. I may test that later today.

This message was edited Mar 12, 2015 7:47 AM

This thread has one reply. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!