Breck's

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I found some beautiful white hosta with green veins in a Breck's catalog but cannot find a rating on them. How do you all feel about Breck's? They're on sale so i want to make a purchase quickly. I hope I saved a picture correctly so you all get a look...........Betty

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Dear Woodspirit..

No No NO!

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/183/

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I've had good luck with Breck bulbs, heck I've had good experiences with park seed et al, but I would not spend a kings random, hope for best and be prepared for the worst. Just don't make Brecks your go to vendor

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Woodspirit ~ Even though the ratings on Breck's are not so good, last year, or the one before it, they sent me a perfect order. The hosta was not huge, but if you know this going in and it is either the best price, or something not available elsewhere, then place a small order with them and see what happens. I do not let them bill me, but send a check with their order and also a little note to remind them that I am a member of Dave's Garden and a contributor to the Garden Watchdog. I had a good experience doing this.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2015 5:02 PM

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Evelyn, great strategy!!!!!

Thanks, again. I'm going hmmmmmmmmm, what to do, what to do.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

I wish I had had Evelyn's strategy to follow before I placed my one and only order with Breck's (wasn't a member yet). I ordcered some lilies(10 bulbs) and a grab bag of muscari that were on sale (60 bulbs); all the lilies arrived in as handful of dry sawdust stuff (4 were too far gone to save) and a couple of regular order bags of muscari (45 bulbs) were received. Their cusatomer service was deplorable: saying they would send me the missing muscari ONLY if I paid for a regular order (15 bulbs). I ordered the 15 more bulbs from another vendor.

woodspirit if its only ONE plant..and you're really smitten with it. . . I'd say go for it (using Evelyn's strategy). Worst case? A plant that's DOA or fails to thrive or is even lost somewhere in translation! Best case? A plant that you admire in your garden!!

Is your name Betty? Mine is Betty Sherrill. I live up toward Lake Toxaway. I may try that one plant unless I find it elsewhere else.
I've been a member here since 2001. In that time, I've gone to 3 round-ups, swapped lots of plants and even ended up with a baby beagle. Maybe we could have a small round-up near here. The names of members in local counties would be available in DG's available lists.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

a baby beagle?? LOL was THAT on your want list????

I'm not Betty and am too new (uninformed??) to know what a round-up is but it sounds intregueing. You have3 a good idea for a local: mebbe call it Dave's Regional Gardeners?? LOL

Shoot me a Dmail; we'll talk.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Betty ~ Did you send your order with Breck's? The sooner you do it, they won't say that they ran out of hostas. Actually that is the hosta that I ordered last year. Though it was small, I managed to divide it at the end of the season to share with a DG member.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2015 8:10 AM

East Tawas, MI(Zone 5b)

The white feather hosta are also on ebay, have you read about them on dave plant search? They are white to greenish white when they emerge but green out as the season progresses.

There are many sites this plant is available on

Best wishes on your growing season

Breck's was out. elfen, I will give ebay a go. Thanks.

Eden, NY(Zone 5a)

I ordered that hosta from Brecks last year. It was very small and packaged in dry saw dust. It did survive the winter (Western New York and the worst winter ever), but now I feel like I have to baby it to keep it alive.

Like others said, if you really want it, go for it. But I wouldn't make them your go to mail order place.

Jennifer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.