Spring 2015 Plant Swap DISCUSSIONS

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

This thread is for any and all swap-related discussions about plants.

I was going to call this the "yakking thread", but decided that might be misunderstood by some ; - )
We love yakking! Just do it here, NOT on the Have and Want Lists thread! Thanks.

Please post here if you would like to participate: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1387793/

Your individual lists of plants you HAVE or WANT go here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1387836/

Thumbnail by Muddy1
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh, hello!

WatermarkWoods, if my cilantro keeps being so fussy, I will be looking for some....

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

WatermarkWoods, I would love one of your Escargot Begonia, please.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Muddy, You may want to sticky the Haves Wants list, too. They tend to slip down the threads list since there isn't as much daily activity on them as there is in the discussion threads.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I agree Holly. When people edit their posts it does not register as new activity on the thread and the thread can migrate way down the forum.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Good idea; I'll send a note to admin.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--

Under your "wants"--you want a yellow Datura plant.
I don't have plant--but can send you seeds for one.
LMK G.

Gita, I have seeds. Mine have failed to sprout. I think I used ones from a few years back. But still, not a single one? I have last year's seeds to try but can I catch up if I plant seeds now? I try to start my seeds in January so I have plants growing by now. My neighbor in back would like to have one.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, I think you can still have your Datura from seed. Try this to hasten germination:

"To help with seed germination, do a warm water soak. Fill a thermos (one dedicated to seed germination, not for food!) with hot water (from the tap is fine). Put the seeds in to soak for 24 hours. Change the water for clean hot water every 6 hours. I usually then wet a paper towel with a mixture of water and liquid kelp solution, wring it out, sprinkle the seed over it, and fold it closed, pressing gently to ensure good contact between the seeds and the paper towel. I put it in a cheap baggie (thin plastic), leaving the top open. Put that on a heating pad set on low or anywhere you have low heat. Lots of people use the top of a water heater, although a lot of them are so wel insulation these days that this doesn't work. Of course, you can always use a propagation mat.:) Check daily for germination, which you can see by holding up the baggie to the light."

With good light, warmth, soil, moisture, and food it will grow quickly.

Thanks, David...maybe I will....

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--Even though I have oodles of seed--I think mine is older that yours.
I have not grown the yellow one for a long time.

I may do what David suggested....as I may want to plant either one of them
in my raised bed. Nothing else grows there too well--not enough sun.

I have not started any seeds at all yet. Other things seem to interfere.
This week-- Thurs. and Fri. they will be putting in my new windows on
the bedroom level--6 total. Also new front and basement entry doors.

I have spent a lot of time clearing everything away from the windows, working
3-8hr. days a week (not complaining!) and then will have to clean and iron
all the curtains, put things back where they were, go through stuff, etc...

I am aware that I am procrastinating--I think I just don't want to bother...

I will do my basil and tomatoes...Dill and parsley should come up on their own.
We will seee...We will seeee....

Good luck with the daturas. ! G.

Well, that window job is a great big reason not to get a lot of seedlings started. You'll be so happy when they are all done!

I just put about fifty of the 2013 year Datura seeds in a two inch pot. They sit on the upper light shelf which is now slightly warmed by the lower lights. Watch me get fifty seedlings in that 2 inch pot...

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

BTW - the instructions I quoted above were specifically written for hastening Datura germination.

David, I hope you don't feel dissed that I am not following the directions. It was thoughtful of you to post them.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--

Sadly--none of the windows I am having replaced have anything
much to do with growing seedlings.
There are NO windowsills on any of my windows-- they all are less than 2" wide.
I am hoping it will be a bit warmer, though. No cold air leaking out anywhere.

Muddy-maybe I was looking for a bag--and not a gallon bottle of the Corn Gluten???
If so--no wonder I could not find it.

Will re-inspect tomorrow. G.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally, I don't really care if you follow the suggestions or not. The info is just there if it suits your needs and inclination.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita, I'm not sure about the granular product, but the liquid one is only available by ordering online. HD makes the in-store pickup easy, though; they have parking spaces reserved for people picking things up.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Haaa...! In out HD--one can park right by the front door--no reservations needed.
That is one of the benefits of a Low-Volume store. So much less traffic--
so much more personalized service! Most customers prefer shopping at our HD
for many such reasons.
We have a large parking lot. Only the front 1/3 is usually semi-full.
G.

Gita, you must be in a sweet spot, where they have not slashed your staff due to low volume.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--
At our HD--one can usually park near the front door--and the contractors
LOVE to shop here--as they can get their supplies, and be on their way
in a short time. They really, really like our store for that reason.

Ours is the 2nd oldest HD in the Baltimore area, hence--sore #2502.
Glen Burnie (your store, Sally??) is the oldest. #2501).

Our staff is pretty sparse--which also makes it harder on each of us.
If someone goes to lunch--there may not be anyone to assist customers
for that hour. YES! That is inexcusable!

We ARE considered a LOW VOLUME store. Yet--We USUALLY beat many
of the BIG SHOT STORES (BY$$$ %' ages), and for what counts.
("Voice of the Customer--VOC) is something everyone customer needs to
understand--what power that has over the recognition of their associate
that waited/helped/ checked you out/ on your shopping trip.
When the cashier circles that "Take an Opinion Survey" on your receipt--
PLEASE do t! You may NEVER win$5000, but you sure can put in a good
word for an associate and how plesed you were with the service yu received--
the cashier that checked you out-- cashier,

Who would management cut? Only the slackers and the thieves.
Us old-timers are all tenured associates.The "newbies" either make it--or break it. BYE!!!
Some of them shine brighter than a diamond--we all can see it--those are the KEEPERS!!!

Here is an odd thing---in a HD--once you are "settled in" no one shadows you
or tells you what you need to do--you should KNOW IT! Oh, sure--your supervisor may have
gotten some deadlines stuff from HIS superior--and then he/she has to relay it
to his/her Crew what has to be done.
Many of the new hires are not able to handle the load of work they are expected to do--
like--Phew!..I have to do that--and get all dirty? And--they quit.
Some think it is a smorgasbord for pretty girls ans handsome Hunks--and they
totally miss the reason they got hired there.
Good riddance! In that case--you do not belong in our HD.

Other than the "Specialty" Depts. (flooring, kitchens, Millwork, Pro Desk dept.
may have 2+ associates per shift. These Dept's are the $$$$$ makers...Installs!!!
Construction workers!!! who come to buy thousands of $$ worth of stuff for their jobs.
People choosing to have a deck built--ALL the stuff builders do--and they come
to buy their supplies from us--as they caan be in abd out in 15 minutes--and off to their jobs.

We have a towering, BIG man that just transferred to our store from the Belair store--
--one of the largest and busiest stores in this area. He is now in our Appliances Dept.
He is also going NUTS! Not used to the slow pace of our store.
Where he came from--there would be 3-4 associates in any dept. HA! Wishful thinking...

Our store also has a huge amount of people with longevity with the company.
There are at least 3 or 4 people that were there when our store opened--24 years ago.
Many people wear their annual badges proudly. 20 yrs.--22 rs.--I just got my #17 yesterday!
SO-I am also one of the "valued" associates. urtis has told me he will NEVER get rid of me!!!
AAAHHH.........how sweet!

Besides all the above--at our store--no one will EVER ignore you, be rude to you,
or not greet you, and not help you as best they can at our store.

The most common greeting goes like this: "Good morning! Can I help you find something? "
"What are you working on??"
And--when someone leaves--you will hear:" Did you find everything you needed?
Have a nice day--and thank you for shopping with us".

Compared to out next closest store--"Golden Ring Mall"--just 3mi. away--WE ARE
the choice of all the customers that have ever shopped there. They hate that store--BUT--
they love ours. They also HATE the Lowes just 2+ miles away for the same reasons.
In the beginning--It is a big responsibility to act like you are expected to act and interact
in the way you should towards a customer. In time That all becomes a habit.

In my case--I not just help the customer--I also try to educate them when it comes to
the choices they have made in the garden dept. TOP SOIL? For your garden???
NOOOOO! And off i go....
Too bad--as that word (Top Soil) is very deceiving...If I did not know better--I would think
"Top Soil" is IT! It is nothing but Fill Dirt!

OK! I am off my soap Box....Can you tell I LOVE my HD? I think they love me too.

Gita

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Does anyone have any golden or variegated pothos? A rooted cutting would be fine.

Don't ask me how, but DH literally dropped mine in the toilet. O_o

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Is this Pothos? If so, I have lots. These plants don't get much light; I think they would be more variegated if they did.

Thumbnail by Muddy1

Yes! They're great bathroom plants. I still can't figure out how mine ended up in the toilet...

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'll add it to my haves and wants list and put you down for some so I don't forget. Perhaps your DH was showing what he thought of the plant ?!

Thanks, Muddy! He's actually dropped and killed quite a few of my plants and broken at least 5 containers and a really nice metal plant rack. Just the other day, he knocked over the snake plant and almost broke that container. It would be a remarkable feat to actually kill a snake plant, though.

I don't think it's plant sabotage, because he's literally broken every single one of our wine glasses so we stopped buying them. We just drink out of sturdy water glasses now. :)

Speaking of houseplants, I have lots of curly spiderplants.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

SSG -- Pothos really doesn't like that much water.

@Pat lol

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Holly, we'd love one of your variegated bromeliads. Thanks!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Got you Pat. Both the variegated and green have wonderful flowers and bloom every year for me. Here is a pic of the Variegated Bromeliad not looking too good right now stuck in a back corner of the GH. Had to take the pic thru the door. LOL and the Bloom it is the same bloom for both types of Brom. Also a pic of the Queen's tears.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

muddy--

Your Pothos looks like a "Marble Queen" as the variegation is on the white side.
The sturdiest of all--in my opinion.
If it was in the yellowish side--it would be the "Golden Pothos".

There are new patterns in the Pothos world--I like the one where the leaves are
half and half . The leaves on this one are more slender--like on the all green
Philodendron, but there is a definite division between the cream white and the green.
Sometimes--the leaf is totally half green and half cream white. HD always has these.

Here is my little one I started from a cutting. The coloration is so-so--as it has
been sitting in a dark corner all winter.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Ooh I'd like a Pothos as well, if there are any more to go around that is.

I might have a bunch of stuff to share if my winter sowing goes well. Of all the seeds I bought, I planted about 6 pots of each. I figure I'll keep two for myself and give the rest away. We'll see how it goes. Right now though, they are covered in melting snow.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Sequoia; I'll put you down for some.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you :)

I'm looking for lots of Arum italicum, and any kind of epimedium.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jeff--

In case muddy's Pothos are all gone--you can, usually, find these in a HD
in those small 3-1/2" pots of asst. Angel Plants...Current price--$3.98,
They DO go on sale--now and then. Look for it this weekend--as it is close to Easter...

There is some kind of a "Black Friday Spring Sale" hitting tomorrow.
I do not know what will be featured....I do not work again until Sunday,
but i DO get the paper and the circular should be there in tomorrow's paper.

HD sales always start on Thursday AM--and always end on Wed, PM.
SO--one week! G.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks G but Muddy said I could have one. I just want it for the office...like I need another plant in there :)

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm glad you and ssg want Pothos; I have too many and I don't like taking care of indoor plants anyway. So many of them really need to be re-potted.

Muddy, library could take one, then I'll toss a really worn out Aglaonema.

critter reminded me I have a couple Plumeria cuttings ready to root.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Who gave out the plumeria cuttings at the fall swap? Mine are going well in the GH but can't remember who gave them to me.

probably critter?
I took several in fall, off my common 'white with yellow centers' one. Figured it was so easy to throw a stick in the box with my overwintering bulbs like caladium.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.