Advice on purchasing a new greenhouse

Middlebury Center, PA

Hello. I would love some advice on purchasing a new greenhouse. We are considering an EarthCare Grow Smart 13' X 40'. we will heat it year round with our outside wood burner and a 50,000 BTU hydronic hanging heater w/fan. We live in Tioga County PA.

I'd love something that would allow me to grow vegetables, herbs and flowers - many in hanging baskets. My hope is to have enough extra's that I can take them to the farmers market or sell to local shops.

We do need something that looks nice as it will be in our front yard. It doesn't have to be fancy. We live in a log home in the country and have chickens.

Thank you in advance for any advice! :)

Cindy

* picture is of greenhouse that we are considering

Thumbnail by cpars0ns
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

That looks to be nice and sturdy,but I always think a person can build one better than you can buy,consider the snow load you might have during the winter,another consideration is,are you growing in the ground or in pots.

Middlebury Center, PA

Thank you for your reply.

We are planning on growing in pots and raised beds. We are also planning on quite a few hanging baskets.

I mentioned to my husband that it may be easier and less expensive to just build one but he is helping to build a house for my parents this summer and thinks that a kit will be faster.

Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

I purchased a kit greenhouse 8X24 Snap&Grow with Aluminum frame from Palram about 4 years ago and though I like the look of it and it has been very sturdy, I think if I had to do over I would build one. Mainly because the polycarbonate covering on this one is single wall. I love the crystal clear factor but I had to insulate it because of our cold winters here. You can see the insulation in the pictures. Also I need a bigger greenhouse. The heat loss in a greenhouse is HUGE. Another factor to consider. Also ventilation to minimize heat buildup, it gets extremely hot in a greenhouse on a sunny day easily over 100* in the winter., as much as 120* in the Summer. You may have considered all these factors already. I am just sharing my experience as a new greenhouse owner. Until I actually had it up and running, I was pretty clueless. lol I am no expert, but I have learned a lot in the past 4 years, about greenhouse basics.
It sounds like you have chosen a good size for a greenhouse. Your heater sounds adequate. I wish my greenhouse was that big. I am not familiar with the brand you are considering. I would make sure that the structure will allow you to hang baskets. I ended up having a rack built inside mine so the roof wouldn't be under so much stress from the weight of the baskets. A friend of mine fabricated it from metal electrical conduit and attached it to the side supports of the greenhouse, to reduce the strain on the roof. I think whichever model kit one chooses, there are always improvements to be made that suit one's particular needs. I would make sure that the construction materials and type allow flexibility to add your own accesories as you need. Good luck with whatever you choose. I really enjoy having a greenhouse , but it is a labor of love.
Annette

Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23 Thumbnail by Nanny23
Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

I read this forum all the time but haven't ever responded to any posts.

I purchased my greenhouse kit from Charley's Greenhouse in Washington state. Its a SolarGro kit manufactured in Canada. I went to the city and found out what building specs were required for construction in my area although a free standing greenhouse doesn't need a permit.

My foundation is 18 inches deep (Just below the frost line) and I had the greenhouse engineered for 100 mph winds, 130 ultimate. Snow load is not an issue. It is 5 wall polycarbinate heated by 5 thermosolar panels that a guy here in Reno is building.

It withstood a 105 mph wind in December. Although the temp inside did drop to just above 50* a couple times (outside it was 5*), the orchids are hugging the hot water lines and were fine.

I didn't go the cheap route but if you are looking for quality greenhouse kits, Charley's is great. The customer service is a little strange at times, though.

Daisy

Hi cpars0ns, I went online and looked at the greenhouse you are considering. The twinwall 10mm polycarbonate seems to be a good choice if you plan on using it year round. And one of the biggest expenses in building a greenhouse is the glazing material( besides the accessories of course). You probably already know the thicker the space between the layers the better the insulation value. I had consider refitting my greenhouse with the twinwall, but it would cost almost as much as a new greenhouse.
Another expense is the platform (if you choose to use a wooden one). I shopped for months looking for a greenhouse that I could afford at the time, and for the money, I am pretty well pleased with what I got.
I wish I could have purchased one that was 13x40. I hope to expand in the future. Who knows maybe I will try one like you are looking at. I would be interested to know how you like it, once you are up and running.
If you haven't considered auto vent openers, I highly recommend them on at least part of your vents, the heat builds really fast on a sunny day even in the winter.
I do like the looks of the Earthcare Grow Smart. My greenhouse uses similiar type hangers that lock into the frame and while they are very useful for hanging shadecloth and lighter weight baskets I wouldn't want to hang very heavy ones on mine.
The great part about a kit is that everything comes to you precut and you don't have to try to figure out how much of this or that is needed. (Probably one of the attractions for your husband)
It is a huge consideration. Build or buy? You didn't say what kind of terrain you will be building it in, mine is in an open area where the wind can get pretty stiff,it has managed to hold up in 60-70 mph with minimal damage. I lost a roof vent during a storm, aside from that nothing major.
It sounds like you have put some careful planning into your choice of greenhouse. For me it has been a great learning experience, kind of a giant science project. Getting the perfect growing environment in a greenhouse can be tricky. I have been at it for 4 years and it is still work in progress. I hope that some of what I had to say is helpful. At the end of the day, you are the one who has to be satisfied with your choice and hindsight is always 20/20 as they say.lol I doubt you would find a greenhouse owner anywhere that couldn't think of improvements they would make to their setup. like I said I am no expert, I am just sharing my own experience.

Middlebury Center, PA

Thank you all so much for your replies.
We went with the 13 X 40 Grow Smart greenhouse. We decided to become a business so that we could get it at wholesale pricing which really helped.
The directions are a little goofy and some of the parts were labelled incorrectly but we got it up in about 2 days! The first day was just putting together the end walls and doors. The greenhouse is anchored to cement piers and a 4x4 (?) wood frame. We put weed barrier down and gravel. We ordered 21 tons (a dump truck load) and used maybe half... lesson learned. We now have enough gravel to landscape all around the greenhouse, house and chicken coop!
So far I love it! I am a little concerned with how the automatic roof vent openers will work during a thunderstorm. We are due for a storm this week-end so I guess that I will find out.
Now we just have to build shelving. Also, thanks to your advice Annette we are going to build a frame to hold the hanging baskets instead of putting all of that weight onto the frame - that's a good idea - thank you.
Cindy

Thumbnail by cpars0ns Thumbnail by cpars0ns Thumbnail by cpars0ns Thumbnail by cpars0ns
Middlebury Center, PA

I tried to add these to my last post but I must have done something wrong.

Thumbnail by cpars0ns Thumbnail by cpars0ns Thumbnail by cpars0ns

Wow Cindy that looks great! I know you must be excited to finally get your greenhouse up. Owning a greenhouse is a huge science project that is constantly evolving, at least for me it is. I am sure you are going to enjoy it just as much as I enjoy mine. I would love to see pictures when you get it finished inside and fitted with all the equipment. Keep us updated on your progress and any lessons learned along the way. What are you planning to grow for sale? I have grown vegetables, herbs and flowers and sold them out of my tiny greenhouse. Right now I have over 200 tomato plants transplanted and still a a flat or two left to do. I only do it as a hobby mostly. Selling a few plants helps to fund my addiction to gardening. lol
Annette

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.