Pit Greenhouse Pictures Anyone?

Blairstown, MO(Zone 6a)

Hello Everyone, I'm a new subscriber so the first place I went was the Greenhouse forum. I searched for Pit Greenhouse but I didn’t find anything so I thought I'd share some pictures of my pit greenhouse. I built it about three years ago and have been growing happily ever since. It is a design of my own imagination; the foundation is poured concrete five foot deep with a gravel floor. It measures 12’x24’ and costs me about $20.00 a month to heat (55 degrees) under normal weather conditions in MO. It’s insulated with R-19 with foil overlay that give it another R-2.

Thumbnail by Jgordo02 Thumbnail by Jgordo02 Thumbnail by Jgordo02
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

What a novel idea...... I am assuming that you put it down in the ground to help avoid wind damage and to help with heating in the winter??

Reno, NV(Zone 6b)

It looks like only one side of your roof is plastic (glass). Interesting idea. What are you growing? How warm does it get in the summer time?

I would love to heat my greenhouse for $20/month. What kind of heat source are you using?

Are you implementing with artificial light?

Daisy

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I was looking at a youtube video about this type of GH. If I had the land to do it I am sure I would build one. I love it.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Welcome to DG Jgordo02

Great idea and design, I'm sure it way out performs my modified HFGH (Harbor Freight Green House). I probably spend 6-800$ a year on it here in zone 6 Pa.
I've been thinking of putting part of my garden below grade and under glass since I have almost enough reclaimed material to do so.

Blairstown, MO(Zone 6a)

I live in east central Missouri. The East, South and West sides are double pane polycarbonate. Beginning in Late March early April I put up shade cloth which helps with the heat build up along with the exhaust fan it stays around 80 -90 degrees during the day. Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

Brigham City, UT(Zone 5b)

J, What do you use to heat it? Here in Utah, I give up and only use my homemade greenhouse from spring to fall. That is one beautiful greenhouse.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm in St. Charles County in MO. Your greenhouse is PERFECT for Missouri! I was thinking of making it with radiant heat system. Hubby put one in the house from Farm Tek to heat our bathroom floor and it works very well. I wondered if you had any things you would do differently, if you did it again?

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I look at the series on the Discovery channel called Homestead Rescue and they often build pit greenhouses for the families that they are rescuing. You might find one of the episodes with the pit greenhouse.

Fort Worth, TX

In North Texas clay it would be flooded, I thought about doing one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.