March 2015 Spring is here!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Here is my picture of a Robin last month. Sorry, I don't have flowers this year yet.
We came from here. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1385984/

This message was edited Mar 1, 2015 12:05 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Your robin pic is perfect! Got the driveway done around 11 am. Church was cancelled due to hazardous road conditions. Still working on my dh's business taxes. I will be glad to finish. More peppers sprouted. Next weekend should be nicer; though an hour shorter. I do enjoy the extra daylight in the evening.

Thanks Betty! I was going to cry if nobody wrote on the thread soon!

BELLEVILLE, IL(Zone 6b)

lol morning... no crying. At 1 am I was sleeping =P

Shoveled snow and got fam pics done yesterday. weee

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

so glad to see Robins, even if they are scratching around in the snow.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

A few spring pics.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I don't have anything growing as for seeds. I know better. LOL. I buy super nice plants from work and this year will be planting some new squash varieties here and at my grandma's to try and hopefully share.

Ok, I won't cry yet. Boy, it's nice having a functional keyboard again! I can do exclamation points without having to actually spell exclamation point!

I've seen the snow-scratching Robin too! The songbirds are fun to watch pecking and digging for birdseed too. The poor birds have to do that sometimes because it will be snowing when I put it out there. Juncos are notorious kickers and scratchers, they are fun to watch even when the seed isn't covered up.

So, that must be the beginnings of the produce for the market, CG, very nice, that's alot of produce there when they get big.

It's still not too late to reserve Bothwell Lodge for our spring ru The closer it gets though the less likely that their one shelter will be available. I'm in too but it'll take more than 3 people.

Today I worked on my bat house some more, it's almost finished. I bought a $5 rocking chair at a flea market and today I polyurethaned it. I'd love to get about 10 times what I paid for it, hopefully rocking chairs are in like I hope they are. I plan on reupholstering the seat next.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

The chair looks great, Will. Good find.
I agree, there is a lot of plants growing fast , you have a good area. CG.
I LOVE TO BUY PLANTS. but, starting from seed makes me feel, "needed" ;)
This is blooming tonight. Just a germination test, now I have seeds that I can plainly see what they are; I just wish my olfactory wasn't broke. I know these smell good.
Oh well..
Momma Upright EE is going to bear a bloom. she has given me so many pups. I hope this doesn't mean the end for her... maybe because before I left for vacation on the 13th, I saw she was draped in spider mites, so I clipped her back and sprayed her with forbid.

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

27°/39°/7°
Today...Blustery...Cloudy. Freezing rain...Possibly mixed with rain in the morning and a chance of light rain in the afternoon. South wind 15 to 25 mph shifting to the west 10 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Gusts up to 30 mph. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.
Tonight...Blustery...Mostly cloudy. Northwest wind 15 to 25 mph with gusts to around 30 mph. Wind chill readings to 10 below after midnight.

Will,
That's the temp it is when I get up and the high and low for the day.

I read, laughed over Ju's changing the light bulb joke and all of '''Pepper's'' shovels!

Loving the seedlings Bernie!

Nice rocker Will!

Debra,
Your plants look great and the bloom is beautiful!

We had the boys over the weekend and will have the twins tonight.

DH's new truck is sitting somewhere waiting for delivery so we can pick it up from the dealership. Glad it hasn't come in yet.

Sleet when I got up this morning, rain a while ago and now it's freezing on. I think no one will be going to school today.

March came in kind of quiet but it's going to get windy today. Is the saying in like a lamb, out etc. just for the first day or does it count the first two weeks in?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Catching up. It's been busy.

We kept just the boys last weekend and they had a lot of fun by themselves. Tuesday, when we went out to get the twins I asked them who's turn it was to go to my house, DGD said mine, not the boys!

Thursday, DH got his new truck and we got our old one signed over to DD.
I went to my cousin's visitation.

Friday we ran to town for new floor mats and a few groceries. I cleaned in my garage while he had the truck out. I brought in the small seed starter with lights and sowed cat grass. I bought three packets, fixed two pots with dirt and barely had enough seed to do one. I'll bet there were only twenty seeds to a packet. Sheesh. I used to get two packets just to sow a long planter.....

It's going to be even nicer today so I need to get a flat ready to sow cabbage and broccoli.

The snow is going to disappear this week and I am now ready to get going outside!

Hugs all around and good thoughts for all.

YAY! got the truck! I'm happy for you and him. I have a HUGE packet of cat grass, keep thinking I am going to make 3 bowls up for my grandfur kitties, and then forget to do it. Snow is almost gone here, in the high 50's today and 60's tomorrow. I am ready to start my outside tubs with seeds.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Trying to type while walking on the tread mill again. Daffodils, tulips, snow drops, and star of Bethlehems have come up.

what? Are they blooming? mine are just peeking up thru the leaves. I guess I need to go bike a bit per PT lady..

Mine are just poking thru the ground also. Spring is getting here!!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

That's what I meant. Up, not blooming.

Thanks Sally and Debra, I've polyurethaned the snot out of that rocking chair.
It shines like a new dime but now I'm trying to deduce what color/pattern of fabric I want to reupholster it with. I've finished the bat house too, I can't wait to get it put up soon for the bats hopefully. I can't believe it was 70 degrees today! I got out my electric chainsaw and the neighbor and me cut a bunch of brush behind his house. The thick brush has been pink-dotted with spray paint by our precious city here, as brush that needs to be removed because of overhead lines. We'll work some more on it later, there's too much for one day but the weather is perfect. I'm going to the workshop soon, I'll post photos of the bat house.
Oh I'd say that lion/lamb saying SHOULD count for the whole month of March, bp! I have a photo of Mar. 24th last year where there was plenty of snow here, I'll post it. Their talking about upper 70's next week here, we'll see! - http://www.kshb.com/weather
Thanks for the hugs and good thoughts, Sally!

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Debra,
DH hasn't even taken pictures of the truck yet, but we love it! Heated seats are soooo nice!

Betty,
I try to read on my treadmill. I think it's amazing you can type! I have snow on the beds the spring flowers need to come up in :o(

Will,
Beautiful, but so depressing to see a thick covering of snow, LOL! That was pretty late in the month too!
The green seat is pretty, but maybe too bright for the color of the chair. I'd find a subtle golden brown pattern.
70°! You're killing me! I would love to cut and haul brush, but we went for a truck ride yesterday :o)

Sprung forward and slept till 4:00 am. I swear it takes a half hour to feed and re-settle three cats...... Then I finally get coffee and computer time :o)

DH heard coyotes down south this morning. They must have been on the edge of town and that's where my Dad lives.

Colder today. I never made it to the garage to get out pots and dirt. I may be a bit early if I start some of the seeds now. I don't have a cold frame to harden off in.

Have blessed Sunday.

Alton, IL

It was startling! All of the sudden SPRING exploded. :)

Now if we don't jump from winter to summer I will be happy. I like a decent length spring. lol. And no 100 degree days this summer!! lol

Yeah, pretty thick covering of snow there for late March. Sorry, I said last March but actually that photo was 2 years ago, I still am on 2014..lol Oh, that green seat is the one getting replaced, it's the original fabric, it is hideous, and it's torn in the front. These others are some that I might choose from, they are mostly some of my old shirts.

It got up to 71 degrees today.

I have enuff trouble just keeping my feet on the treadmill, let alone typing or reading. lol

Here is the bat house that I just finished, well, I want to make a roof for it.

Yes, Spring came fast! Here is the Creeping Sedum that I got from Joeswife at the last spring ru. - pic #3 You have to look close, you may not be able to the little sprouts.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Alton, IL

A little good news....... Both of my yarrow plants are showing signs of life. They have new, green leaves! And maybe, just maybe, one of my corkscrew grass plants survived. It definitely has green shoots, but I'm not yet sure whether they are new or left over stuff that is actually dead. (Did that make sense?)

The point is that I might have three plants that survived to come back this spring. YAY!

But I definitely need to find a better stool or bench to sit on for my gardening. I'm a larger lady with two bad knees, so kneeling or sitting on the ground is out of the question. The problem is that the only stool that I have sits less than a foot off the ground. So I sit down (which my knees object too because it's too low), garden for five to ten minutes until the knees hurt too much, then try to figure out whether I can stand up. Sometimes I've wondered whether standing up again was in the realm of possibilities. There has to be a better solution!

BUT...... I have three plants that survived!!! :) More may follow, but I'll take what I have for now and celebrate!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Dyanisme, I'm glad that you showed up. I'm sending you a D-Mail soon about the Spring Roundup, so be watching for it.

Robins every where! I'm excited. : D

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

A flock of blackbirds were in my grove today. They are always the first back here.

Hi all, I got a bit too excited to see the tiny blue flowers on a chickweed this weekend.. pointed at them to Joe, he just laffed and said yeal .. weeds.. to me those were the first sign of spring after a Robin.

I see Milkweed is a big Monarch butterfly attracter. - pic #1

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Dyan!
It's slowly warming here!

Pepper,
Nothing is more disappointing than that! I like to open windows and doors.

Will,
As long as you said it, it wasn't very pretty for the rocker, LOL! Old shirts would be cool!! Any one of thse would work!
Love the bat house! I'll bet they use it too.

Dyan,
If it's are green grss I'll bet it survived. Most of my beds are covered in snow!
I hear you. I use a kneeling pad to save my knees and I do have a metal seat and a plastic one. I like to pick beans on the seats because I can tip forward.

Betty,
I'm still waiting on robins.

Bernie,
I have had starlings all winter but no blackbirds. I assume you have grackles?

Debra,
Laughing, I can push snow aside and have chickweed green as can be.

Will,
I have the orange butterfly weed and have planted the annuals. All of them are neat!

We had the yahoos overnight.

Have a good day!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

No Grackles yet.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Bernie,
I don't even have a robin of my own yet:o)

We have had a beautiful week so far starting with the weekend. I walked with the camera yesterday but didn't see anything worth snapping.
My last packets of garden seeds came so I'm happy to look at them and dream.

Have a safe day all! Too soon we will have tornado warnings for some.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I've been wearing flip flops all week. That's all I'm sharing right now. Oh, went barefoot outside today.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Barefoot green? I am not a barefoot girl at all. I am glad I found this thread again. Some how I loose threads all thetime. We are loosing lots of snow around here. Sun has been shining so beautifully. It really is lifting my soul. I needed it so bad. The winter always depresses me very bad. Well I hope all are doing great. I see lots of projects in the works. Love the bat house Will. See lots of seeds growing.

My precious little seed is growing so fast also. Avery is 6 and a half mos old now.

Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123 Thumbnail by gardenlady123

awwww she is so pretty!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

GL, what a cutie pie!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks green. Sure sounds like you have lots of things going already. Have a great weekend all. We have two concerts to go too. So it will be loads of fun.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Just returned from the cinema where Chloe and I saw Cinderella. I got in at the senior rate.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Good for you for saving a few bucks!!!! How did that make you feel? Lol. My hubby is at that point also.

I froze at work today. Forgot to put on a long sleeve shirt so missing one layer made a difference in the cooler weather. Soo glad I remembered my jacket because I was on the forklift pretty much all day.

Oh, if you guys like really nice ceramic pots that have that dull but colorful glaze on it, we have 14 inch ones for $15. Bright blue, green and a light terra cotta color. I grabbed a blue for myself today. I want a green too but resisting so I can buy new sunglasses instead. lol

We also have ceramic luminaries that are neat looking. Don't know those prices though. lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Gl, I liked saving money, but had mixed feelings about not being carded. Lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Pepper, what was the temp? Was it rainy? Windy?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.