Grey Day in NC

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7b)

Went out and shot some waterfowl today, finally a day above freezing... Of course the first 4 a different psoes ona Great Blue Heron and the last is a Northern Mockingbird.

I hope you enjoy them....

Don

Thumbnail by dwr857 Thumbnail by dwr857 Thumbnail by dwr857 Thumbnail by dwr857 Thumbnail by dwr857
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I have my best bird-watching along the river when it is below freezing, & the colder the better. At first I couldn't figure out why, then aha! I realized that if the water isn't frozen, then it is warmer than the air. And on the coldest days, it is consideably warmer. So all the water birds take a bath, and the perching birds perch as close to the water as possible.
When the temperatures get back above freezing, then I see more fishermen than birds.

Great point, I never thought about like that but makes perfect sense!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Looks more like a Great Blue day to me ;-)

Resin

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Don, those are fantastic photos! I've seen a Great Blue Heron on a creek near me several times, but not close enough for me to see what a handsome bird it is. I was really surprised to see it the first time because it was during the winter, and I doubted that there was much for it to eat.

Hi Muddy1... Thanks for your kind words! The GBH is a fantastic bird with so many more qualities/features that the average person never sees! The cold weather does not seem to bother him at all. They live primarily on fish and I have no idea what they do when the ponds and lakes freeze.

Thanks Again....

Don

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

You're welcome!
Perhaps that's why it was hanging out in the creek. As I recall, it was really cold out and so local ponds may have been frozen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.