Pasty Butt

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I seem to remember somebody saying the cure for pasty butt in chicks is to put a clump of grass with the roots and dirt attached in with them. I have never had any with the problem myself but my nephew has some week old chicks with it. He has lost one. They are in a box with paper towel bedding. Any suggestions?

Richmond, TX

Clean them off, then feed them the grass with dirt and roots attached as you said.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks. I thought that is what I remembered.

Bridgewater, ME

I put corn meal in my chicks feed for a couple weeks , it really does help with pasty butt.Would have to dig through 10 feet of snow and then the ground would be frozen to get any grass here.LOL

Richmond, TX

A bit impractical, yes. Good to know there is an alternative remedy.

Bridgewater, ME

My friend grinds up chick feed corn meal and oatmeal and feed that to her chicks,she said she never gets pasty butt

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I was doing some reading on the subject. It said it can be caused by stress and by the chicks getting too hot or too cold. They need grit in their diet after the other problems have been corrected. I guess that is why the corn meal and the dirt help. Thanks for all your help.

(Zone 6b)

Yes, you are supposed to give them chick grit starter.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I need to ask my nephew how the chicks are doing. My nephew and his wife and the older kids went on a short mission trip. They are back now.

Batesburg, SC(Zone 8a)

I always make sure they get their clump of dirt before the 3rd day. But then, I also let the broody hatch them. She seems to have the same idea.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Talked to my nephew. They lost a lot of the silver laced wyandottes which I assume we're all in the same shipment. They have gotten some more and have not lost any of them. Thanks so much!

Bridgewater, ME

I almost lost one to pasty butt yesterday,it was touch and go all day,but it seems fine this morning.My chick grit bag says not to give grit till they are 2 weeks old and you watch to see that they are eating the food and not just grit.I think I willmix some in the food

Richmond, TX

There is definitely something in the soil that comes attached to the grass roots that prevents the problem. I pull grass and give it to the day-old chicks, but my grass isn't buried under feet of snow.

Bridgewater, ME

Wonder if I pulled some grass and dirt this fall and freeze would it be the same as giving fresh to the chicks

Richmond, TX

Worth a try. Maybe all you need is the dirt. My chicks don't eat much of the grass.

(Zone 6b)

Probably so because your ground freezes too. If you plan to raise many chicks, it is certainly worth a try.

Bridgewater, ME

Now if I can only remember to do that.I know I will go write in on my calendar for the month of oct,before the ground freezes,the ground freezes in the end of Oct.

Bridgewater, ME

Two new babies under showgirl mom,I know there is more but don't want to bother her while they are hatching.Wanted to post this on chicks post but had no choose a file to put them in,this is getting old,have to search all my posts to see which one will have a choose a file box so I can post pics

Thumbnail by green04735 Thumbnail by green04735
Richmond, TX

Cute! Will they be a white and a blue?

Bridgewater, ME

Not sure I have not seen the whole chick yet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.