Gardener questionnaire

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

How many of you have had your fleshy fingers in the soil today? Me, you ask? No.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Do you mean on purpose, or by catching oneself during a fall?

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Oh boy, I want to hear this story. Have you been falling again?

As if I ever stopped...

Would it enhance your anticipation if it involved, say, a creek?

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Indeed it would.

Talk about whetting one's appetite...

What if it happened, say, in a public park - and in broad daylight?

And in front of God and everybody - including public officials?

It was a beautiful albeit cold day to inspect historic bridges in Cherokee Park.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

The dutifully assembled represented the KY Transportation Cabinet, private nonprofit conservancy, professional engineering firm, and yours truly.

Things were humming right along. Bridge deficiencies enumerated, drainage patterns identified, proposed solutions described and documented.

I had most of my ducks in a row...

You look around to admire the serene silence and majesty of nature - and gaze upward with reverence at the riparian arboreal giants - and in the blink of an eye, you are butt-first on the bank-full bench.

The engineers kindly pointed to my pratfall. I did leave some of the ice shards as evidence.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

A natural born story teller. Get yourself to Jonesboro!

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

VV- We feel your pain- in the rump and in the ego.
Today I WILL get my hands in the dirt, I have some ferns and Hellebores to plant, maybe that Vitex agnus-castus I neglected to plant in the fall. Yesterday I had great plans of getting dirty (sunny and 60 degrees!) but derailed due to car trouble. If VV can confess slipping on the ice, I can confess I put a tankful of gas in my diesel car. I can't believe VW picked up the tab (that's VW not VV).

Signs of scarily early spring here:
#1 usually this mountain has snow on it until August
#2 Oh foolish Wooly Bear
#3 Unretouched Greeeeeen.
#4 yep, really. The flowering trees are in bloom already.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

VV and Pistil, you both had a pretty good scare. Lot's of bruises but thankfully no breaks or long-term pain. Sounds risky to get out tho...

I got my hands dirty in my dreams, if that counts. The weather was beautiful and the earth wasn't frozen in the least. Wish you all were there!

Speaking of wishing, I'm changing my strategy. Instead of wishing for 'Global Warming', I'm going to wish hard for a 'Little Ice Age'. Lol...freeze this!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Snow and ice=falling down. Hope you enjoyed seeing the riparian arboreal giants, VV, as compensation.

Hands in the soil, what soil? You mean there's something under all this snow? I'm composting all our garbage into cardboard boxes and thowing them into a snowdrift for freezing. Even my dog, whose four legs make him better than a tractor, can't get to the garden areas or get his paws down to dirt level.

While admiring it from afar, I take full credit for my brilliance in planting a Gingerbread maple instead of a griseum last spring. From now on, it's mainly zone four plants going in here. To climate change, I say no thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.