How should I store spring crocus "bulbs"?

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

I know they should be stored somewhere cool and dark: can they be stored. . . . .in my refrigerator's crisper?? . . . .in a paper bag under my sink (like daffodils)???

on a tray. lightly covered with newspapers OR vermiculite????. . . . layered in a box (bulbs, newspaper, bulbs, newspaper)??

I must move them (AFTER they bloom this spring and their foliage wilts, I will dig them up)
and store them inside over the summer (ambient temperature 70)
to re=plant them this fall.

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

I remove all the soil, let them dry on newspapers on a flat surface, turning them occasionally to make sure they are completely dry. Then i dust them with cinnamon and store them in a cool dry place in onion bags or burlap til the fall.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

cinnamon?? for the smell? (I KNOW daffodils exude an odor while being cured! so NOT looking forward to THAT again this summer!)

Could you be more specific about "cool, dry place"? That was the crucial bit of info I was looking for.

I live in an apartment with NO: attic, basement, outside storage area, spare room or closet. What I DO have is: room under the sink, refrigerator crisper and an unused oven.

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

Cinnamon has anti microbial properties so I put it on to stop any mold and to keep the bulb dry. Seems to work okay for my EE's and caladiums every year

Given the choices on your list, I think the best place would probably be under your sink. My crispers tend to freeze things no matter what's in there or how many of those little doors are open, LOL! Just try to remember to check them every so often for rot and turn them to keep the surfaces dry

Natick, MA

I stored some spring flowering bulbs in my crisper and did not put peat in them. They got moldy. They were hyacinths and still bloomed, and then they are throwaways, so it wasn't a total loss, but I would store them in the bottom of a cupboard or such as dragonfly suggested. My freesias didnt do that great...they seemed to shrink in the crisper, or dry out? It's possible they were not the best bulbs in the first place, so there's that

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

I think the reason is most refrigerators are made to take the moisture out of the inside air, so that frost will not form. maybe that's why they look dried out?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.