Cayeux Irises Now ALL in Plantfiles :)

Concord, NC

DG is the Only Place on the Internet to get a Complete List of Historic Ferdinand Cayeux of France Irises.. ALL with Correct Dates of Introduction and ALL with Known Correct Bloomtimes. Irisparadise.com in Germany has a Complete list but Does not Have the Complete Bloomtimes on any of the Entries. Also found two they forgot hiding in the 1939 AIS Checklist Book, which Lists all Iris from 1939 back to the beginning collected species of 1500's Europe. they Irisparadise.com also forgot to add 'Sceptre' 1868 to their Salter of England List maybe they should start with those, as there are only 17 Salter Irises. ALL Of the Ferdinand Cayeux Iris 481 of them Plus His Grandson Jean Cayeux and His Great Grandson Richard Cayeux's Irises are All in Plantfiles with Dates and Bloomtimes Comprising more a Legacy Than 650+ Cultivars ALL here. Wiki Iris which claims to be building a database of All of the registered iris of the World.. Doesnt have a Single Ferdinand Cayeux list of His Cultivars as of this writing!..nor Does Historic Iris Preservation Society. How Truely Sad Indeed ;) they Should come here and use ours here at DG. Just my Personal Opinion.

NUMA ROUMESTAN by Cayeux, F. 1928 from Superstion Iris Gardens. Next to my Sons hand in Our North Carolina Iris Garden.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2015 8:26 PM

Thumbnail by themikesmom
Concord, NC

JEAN CAYEUX 1931 By Cayeux, F. 1931 named after his Grandson. Their is Also still in Existence 'Madame Henri Cayeux', 'Anne-Marie Cayeux' and 'Rose-Marie Cayeux' or just 'Rose-Marie'.They are named after his Wife, Sister, and Daughter, Claude Cayeux is thought no longer to be in Existence.

Thumbnail by themikesmom
Concord, NC

ALICE HARDING 1933 By Cayeux, F. one of the very first tall non-gold lighter shade true yellows that was also Extremely Fragrant. The Whole Package. My son recieved this one from a women name Nancy in Michigan who recieved some from an elderly women in her 80's that had a huge 50 year old colony of it growing there since the late 1950's and the Heavenly fragrance could be smelled anywhere you stood on the property within view of them!

Thumbnail by themikesmom
Concord, NC

EVOLUTION 1929 By Cayeux, F. found this one growing in a colony at an old farm here in North Carolina. The womens Grandmother loved Iris, one of the few she prized so much she remembered the name of it. Amzing in a Clump, it can be distinguised from President Pilkington and Dolly Madison by the Orangey Cast it Exhibits that the other two cultivars do not especially on new blooms. Very Hardy and Multiplies like a weed. Fragrant too.

If anyone Else grows any Cayeux Iris, even the 1960's and 70's ones from Jean or the newer modern ones by Richard. Please post them here if You have time. more pics the better :-) Hoping to get Voltiguer and Madame Henri Cayeux a very dark purple red black this coming Summer :-) ill post pics when a couple others i have like Rose-Marie and Floridor that i just recieved last year bloom too :-)

Thumbnail by themikesmom
Concord, NC

ROSE-MARIE 1929 By Cayeux, F. Recieved this one From Charles P. at Mathew's Iris Garden in Missouri . It is a Very Lovely Unique shade of Rosy Violet Purple. It is a Mid-Late Season Bloomer, Very Long Extended Bloom Time Through Late Season on Nice Tall 36inch Scapes. Lovely Fragrance.

Thumbnail by themikesmom
Concord, NC

CAMEROUN 1938 By Cayeux, F. Recieved this One From Sheri at Blue J Iris in Nebraska. Very Lovely Dark Purple and Purple Black Velvety Bitone. Blooms ML Season. Fragrant. High Bud Count 35 Inch Tall Scapes. Very Unique and Standout in the Garden. Well Worth Having and Enjoying.

Thumbnail by themikesmom
Concord, NC

PRESIDENT PILKINGTON 1931 By Cayeux, F. Recieved this one from Suzy S at Schneider AIris Garden in Illinois in trade. It is Very Lovely and Unique Color as it opens up like a pale sky blue and gray and as it declines it turns purple lavender and gray. it tops out at about 38 inches Tall and a Midseason bloomer with Extended ML Bloomtime. Very Unique and Worth Having. Starts out looking like a pale-bluer gray version of Quaker Lady and then turns into a Violet-gray toned version of Dolly Madison.. is best way to describe it in comparison to other historic cultivars.

Thumbnail by themikesmom
Concord, NC

MADAME LOUIS AUREAU 1934 By Cayeux, F. Recieved this one too from Suzy S. in Illinois in Trade here at DG. it is not a very Large or Showy Bloom, my first year bloom topped out at 26'' tall. an EM Season Bloomer with Dark Overtones very bright when first opens and starts blooming but fades out fast and not a very long bloomer and low bud count. It is Nothing Great but Extremely old Plicata Type Form with interesting white veining on beard and an Enjoyable and Desirable Historic none the less.

Thumbnail by themikesmom
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thank you. I enjoy looking at all the beautiful Iris eye candy early in the morning. :)

Concord, NC

:-) im working on trying to find some more Cayeux irises. There was an Awesome one Superstiion Iris Gardens in CA had called 'Broceliande' but by the time i had enquired about it in 2012 they had gotten rid of it as it wasn't a good seller :'( There are Also two Beautiful Rose pinks of His 'Lux' and 'Aubanel ' ..id like to get.. but that may just be a fantasy of mine, as they are pretty rare..im getting Voltiguer and Mme..Henri Cayeux which is a dark red this Summer.. hopefully. Thanks for Enjoying this thread :-) if You come across any Cayeux iris please post pics on here. Sandra

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.