dormant shrub id

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Im looking for an ID on this dormant shrub in 4b. There are many of them, quite over grown, lining the driveway. They are well over 10' tall. The old wood looks like tree bark, the new wood is red with very fine thorns. The one green pic I have is poor and a realtor picture from a distance so it isnt much help.

Thumbnail by minnesippi Thumbnail by minnesippi Thumbnail by minnesippi Thumbnail by minnesippi Thumbnail by minnesippi
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Cut some branches off of it, and bring it indoors to get good closeups of buds, bark, stem, etc.

I think you posted this on another forum previously, and received an answer of Rosa rugosa. It looks like that to me, too - based on information provided.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1387114/

I could be further persuaded, if you could provide more detail. Leaves aren't always necessary to ID, but clear imagery and details are important.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I did post on plant id, but thought I would "hit" the shrub folks too in the event they dont look at the id forum.
I would love to find out it is Rosa rugosa, we are hoping to be tge new owners of this home soon. I may just have to wait it out until spring...

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Not Rosa rugosa, that doesn't lose its thorns on old stems, nor do the stems get as large as those.

Maybe something in the Araliaceae?

Resin

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Mmm, I think Resin is on the right track. If so, is it Aralia spinosa or Aralia elata? Let's hope the former...

Nothing so pedestrian...

Likely something more off the beaten path, like....

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

You're a Horridus person...

Ain't no Oplopanax sp. on me...

This one is growing at The Morton, so likely quite at home for you or minnesippi.

Even has Siberian in its name...

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Well, it sounds as though I may get to find out this spring! We have a verbal acceptance in our offer. Hope to get that signature soon! 11 acres to explore and plant up!

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

rose acacia?

Thumbnail by minnesippi

Looks like that could be Robinia hispida or clonal variant.

http://www.finegardening.com/rose-acacia-bristly-locust-robinia-hispida

As stated a few months ago...

Cut some branches off of it, and bring it indoors to get good closeups of buds, bark, stem, etc.

I could be further persuaded, if you could provide more detail. Leaves aren't always necessary to ID, but clear imagery and details are important. In order to keep that where it is along that driveway, you are going to have to spend a bit of time hacking it back - as it appears the previous owners must have been doing.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Hacking made the "to do" list. There are shrubs about 20 feet wide. I will go get more pics and upload on my futer.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Here are more pics

Thumbnail by minnesippi Thumbnail by minnesippi Thumbnail by minnesippi
brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

VV, you were right! Thank you.

Thumbnail by minnesippi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.