VV,et al, this is your chance

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I would be much obliged if you'd pick a viburnum for me now that I've made room for it. I like v. odorantissimum, and v. plicatum f. tormentosum. I have some walters viburnum growing about 50 ft around the corner from where this will be planted, don't know if close enough. Will get mostly full sun but a nearby oak tree canopy will provide some relief. well amended clay soil.

Im my perfect world, I would like a pink flowering v. but I will be happy with fragrance.

thanks, all.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2015 2:15 PM

Who the heck are you requesting a plant from?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

VV is the DGer, ViburnumValley.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, I was holding off while waiting for VV, because he is really the expert here, but I can't help but direct you to his favorite (I believe) resource, Classic Viburnums, from whom I have purchased 7 viburnums in the past year. Gary and Sue Ladman there are fabulous. No one less than Michael Dirr sings their praises. Here is a link to the viburnum plicatum tomemtosum page. I have owned them in the past (the white flowering 'Lanarth') and I currently have 4 'Pink Beauty' that I got from Plant and Gnome (another great source with a more limited selection). There are several pinks there. Just a note, though - 'Pink Beauty " often blooms white. Gary Ladman let me know this, and asked me to let him know when mine bloomed, and yes, they bloomed white but no problem.

http://www.classicviburnums.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.main/alphaChange/1/alphaKey/P/index.htm

Do feel free to email Gary or Sue Ladman. I told them, in some cases, what kind of plant I was looking for. He knows his inventory, has wonderful ideas, and is happy to share them. And he invoices you, so you do not pay for your plants until after delivery, once you get over the surprise of the low costs of the plants and modest shipping costs. My plants were all at least 50% less than garden center, which did not have many of the plants.

And few, but excellent reviews (one of them mine):

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/5988/

If Plant and Gnome has what you want, their prices are unbeatable, the plants are very large, and they offer FLAT $10 Fed Ex shipping. I have gotten viburnums and oakleaf hydrangeas there. Look at the price list, not the inventory list. I and another DGer are having fothergilla Mt. Airy delivered in spring, and it is not on the availability list but IS on the price list.

http://www.plantandgnome.com/

And great reviews, again, one of them mine:

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/2494/

I'm sure that VV will have great input on this subject.

Below, viburnums from CV in first 2 pics.

Viburnums from Plant and Gnome in second two pics. On delivery (2013) and one plant one year , transitioning into fall.

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Thanks Donna. I'll ck out the first source, recommended by Mr Dirr, Huh? I'm impressed. I love plant and gnome! Waiting on my 2015 order as we speak

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Check out the reference to the Ladmans in this article, which makes for very cool reading. He even provides a link to the Classic Viburnums website!

http://www.dirrplants.com/viburnum-for-american-gardens.html

You might want to check out his "best of the Best" list.

Fabulous article.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2015 9:04 AM

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Nice.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you, Cville. I'm a big fan.

Classic Viburnums, Forest Farm, Plant and Gnome and Pickering Nurseries have outside presences in my garden. I LOVE finding first rate providers who are very much family firms, especially those who propagate and/or grow their own materials. It's a tough market out there.

How can you not admire a couple who grow over 200 different kinds of viburnums? And when I told Gary Ladman that I wanted a couple of carlesi, either full sized or compactum, he suggested two compact cultivars that he and Sue hybridized that were not even in commerce yet. He told me that I would be the first to have them. They bloomed beautifully last year. Heck, they were in bloom in the box! I have them on either side of a paperbark maple. Am I big or important? Heck no. And when I google the plants, I can't find them!

So on top of everything else he can recommend something unique. At half the price of garden centers, even including shipping.

What's not to like?

Donna

This message was edited Feb 22, 2015 8:44 AM

Checked on the website and have written them. Since their descriptions cover "cold" hardiness, it's hard to tell which do well in my heat. Anyway, I look forward to their reply.

Plant and Gnome appears to only have shrubs hardy to z8.

thanks again for your input. I am looking forward to a pretty viburnum.

Checked on the website and have written them. Since their descriptions cover "cold" hardiness, it's hard to tell which do well in my heat. Anyway, I look forward to their reply.

Plant and Gnome appears to only have shrubs hardy to z8.

thanks again for your input. I am looking forward to a pretty viburnum.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have several viburnums. They do quite well in my area, and I like the fact they offer food for the birds.
My favorite one is Viburnum nudum 'Brandywine'. It starts out with white fragrant flowers, then white berries, that then turn pink, darker pink, blue, darker blue and finally black. It's a real show. Of course, it needs a pollinater: Viburnum nudum 'Winterhur'. Winterhur puts on same berries.

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=d495

My brother has Viburnum plicatum 'Double File'. It's loaded with white flowers followed with bright red berries. It's probably 20 feet tall.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi vossner-I think VV has not answered because you posted this in the perennial forum by accident! I never see him on this forum. However, as you see this is a very active and knowledgeable bunch of DGers helping you.

I thought that perhaps VV was buried in snow in KY. Your comments are so appreciated, thanks. It would be a challenge for me to make room for pollinator but I guess if there's a will, there's a way. There is a brug that is getting on my nerves for not blooming profusely... It might be the right place for v pollinator, hmmmmm

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, good point Pistil. VV is always on Trees and Shrubs, or Plant Identification. I actually thought of it after I posted the other day but of course I was away from the house. He would definitely answer.

There are a handful of viburnums that don't need a pollinator but they don't suit your needs. There is a viburnum opulus, I believe compactum 'Spring Green' which bloomed its brains out and then produced a ridiculous amount of berries without a pollinator at my former home, but Gary only had 3, and they got grabbed. And they were the wrong color for you.

Speaking entirely for myself, I will not be offended if you repost on Trees and Shrubs. Given your zone, however, I think that Gary and Sue are probably your best resources.

Donna

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Here's a Viburnum I have been looking at for years and still haven't purchased. It doesn't need a pollinator and put out lots of red berries.:

Viburnum dilatatum 'Cardinal Candy'

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?taxonid=264439&isprofile=0&

Let us know what you decide. :)

Birder what a pretty one for z4-7. But not 9. I will def share about my selection.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Whoops! Sorry.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

ichangense
ellipticum
dentatum 'Moonglow'
cylindricum
cinnamomifolium
japonicum
odoratissimum
opulus (supposedly sterile e.g. doesn't need a pollinator--some cultivars are zone 8 some are zone 9)
propinquum
tinus 'Spring Bouquet'
tinus (various)

These are the ones I found. I have no experience with them. Most of them are fairly large.
I hope you can find one that works in your yard. I really like Viburnums and keep trying to find places in my yard for them.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I had a dentatum 'Chicago Lustre' at my previous home. Glorious. HUGE! I actually had 2. Grows to 12 feet. Takes beautifully to pruning. Nice autumn color. Dirr said there wasn't any appreciable color but he was in the south.

And yes, viburnum opous compactum 'Spring Green' does not require a pollinator. A smart landscaper put it in my yard. Tons of flowers, tons of berries. If Gary had one, it would be in my yard!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Mr Ladman returned my call and we talked for a good 30 min. The v. with the horizontal branching are not going to make it here, and the options he offered I didn't like, Or already grow or could find here. He was a very charming and helpful man.

Quite by coincidence I learned a local nursery is carrying v. Luzon, and here it is, to be planted sometime this w/end. One of the sales lady says she truly loves this tree. For her, it keeps it's foliage in winter and turns a nice fall color (don't remember what color she said ). She enthusiastically recommended .

Mission accomplished

This message was edited Mar 12, 2015 5:44 AM

Thumbnail by vossner
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Very, very nice. Lucky you!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

The Ladmans are wonderful.

If I may say, you might want to research price. All of the viburnums I purchased from them were much less expensive than anything I could find here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.