New to orchids, need to know what size pot is right to repot

Canton, IL(Zone 5b)

I am new to orchids, and don't plan on getting into them really deeply. But I did get three Phalaenopsis Orchids for Valentine's Day and do want to take care of them correctly.

I found a site about water, light, etc. The site said they should not be grown in clay or ceramic pots because the roots will stick to the sides. They said to use plastic, preferably clear plastic.

I am going to repot them into clear plastic pots, but I need to know what kind of sizing. The current pots are ceramic and about 4 inches wide. Should I stay with the four inch size or would it be good to go to a five inch? I didn't know if going up one size was a "no no".

I have them in east window with filtered light, same as my African Violets. I have a moisture pan coming for them. It is the black plastic, 2-3 inches deep with a plastic mesh covering. So water goes through the mesh, into the pan, and then as it evaporates, that puts humidity into the air around the orchids. (or so the Phalaenopsis Orchid care website says).

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Hi Sue. As for what type of pot, clay or plastic, that is rather a matter of preference and size of your orchid. You will see that from these links...they all show different pots and all show the same methods for repotting. If your orchids are in bloom, repotting them now will cause the blooms to drop off.

Keep you orchids out of cold or hot drafts, follow the basic care info from your links, and you should have lovely orchids to enjoy for years.

Here is some general info on repotting your orchids.

http://www.aos.org/Default.aspx?id=108

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advice-tips-resources/visual-guides/repotting-phalaenopsis-and-other-monopodial-orchid.aspx

http://www.repotme.com/orchid-repotting/Orchid-Repotting-Phalaenopsis.html

Prescott, AZ

Hi Sue, I am also almost new to orchids, I got started when a gift orchid accidentally survived for a year so I took it out of the plant hospice corner and started paying a little attention to it. I took advice and supplies from repotme, one of the references above, with some kind coaching from participants on this site--Thank you all! My little plant is now doing well, and has a new flower spike that's taking its time opening but looks strong and healthy. It's been interesting trying to re-create rain forest conditions inside my arid Arizona home. Good luck with yours, it really is a lot of fun to try to figure it out, and getting a new flower spike this year feels like a huge success!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Nopala, you have special challenges in a dry environment. Kudos to you for successfully getting that orchid to spike. I agree there is a lot of good general growing advice available on line. The American Orchid Society website offers good growing advice for each of the larger genera e.g. Phalaenopsis, Cattleya, Dendrobium, Oncidium, etc..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.