GREAT ARTICLE ON WHICH BLACKBERRIES TO CHOOSE FOR TX

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

http://www.texasgardener.com/pastissues/sepoct08/Blackberries.html

This message was edited Feb 15, 2015 4:58 PM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We have Kiowa and they are so yummy!

Grapevine, TX(Zone 8a)

Kiowa is great. Huge, very sweet berries.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, Dennis. Thanks for the plants a few years ago.

Fort Worth, TX

I ordered some last week. not sure what they are but none of those good for Texas names look familiar

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

Gypsi, where did you order from?

Fort Worth, TX

Burgess I got Triple Crown 'thornless and Black Satin thornless. I have not had problems with Burgess stuff arriving surviving and eventually thriving. Got 5 varieties of strawberries too.

This message was edited Feb 21, 2015 6:15 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I needed to find that article again & you made it easy! I bought an Apache (?) from a local nursery a few years ago & really need to read up on it again. Have to know what I'm doing with pruning & fertilization or no blackberries for me! 😟
Janet

Fort Worth, TX

Janet,

I prune what is in my way in the winter and I top dress everything in the garden with compost if I have it (I make my own)

My thornless are in the ground. Whatever the ones were I got from Home Depot produced gallons of berries last year, their 3rd year, and were pretty effortless.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, that's encouraging! This will be the third year for mine. I'll work in some compost, keep her hydrated & see what happens...😃

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Do blackberries need full sun--like 8 hours or so?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

No. They'll grow in part sun. Mine get late afternoon shade, from about 3pm onward and they produce like crazy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.