Growing Peony and Dahlias In Zone 7B WInston Salem, NC

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi I am a new/old Dave's Gardener. I was a member back in 2006 and want to say hello and ask a question. We moved from Phoenix to The Winston Salem area and I wanted to know if we can grow the above subject. When I was a kid growing up in Massachusetts my dad had beautiful Peonies and Dahlias and from the research I did here it is unclear if they do well here. We are currently having a home Built in Clemmons, NC and should be able to move in around Oct 1. From what I remember Peony tubers are planted in the fall and Dahlias in the spring. Can anyone chime in for some much needed advice and possible types. Thank you so much in advance!

Don

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

SteveFortWorth/Greenville used to start out peony season when he lived in Fort Worth Texas. I was looking through his old threads to see what he grew. But there are definitely peonies that you can grow in the south. Single do best. I do know that you should plant them very shallowly - an inch below the soil.

But you are zone 7, yes? I think the real issues exist in zone 8. But for peony growing in warm climates, warmer than yours, there are guidelines.

Again singles do best but so does Festiva Maxima (my personal favorite - see the first two pics to see why!) Singles do well - the third picture is Burma Joy.

Here is a list I found for Georgia, that is warmer than you:

These peony varieties seem to do best in the South. One of the clues - they are all early bloomers.

‘America’ large fiery-red flowers with golden center tuft.
‘Blaze’ early single-petaled red with a sunny yellow center.
‘Bride’s Dream’ creamy white with soft yellow center
‘Coral Charm’ deep coral buds that soften to coral-peach when open
‘Festiva Maxima’ large, early, white double flowers with crimson flecks.
‘Kansas’ large, early double flowers of watermelon red
‘Miss America’ snow white petals that open to a full early semi-double flower
‘Paula Fay’ glowing pink, early semi-double with waxy, textured petals.

Here is a list for Tennessee:
Festiva Maxima’ (white)
‘Bowl of Beauty’ (Jap. with rose pink petals, creamy yellow staminodes)
‘Red Charm’ (a wonderful true red, but be prepared to pay through the nose)
‘Kansas’ (rosy red double, very reliable)
‘Shirley Temple’ (blush daughter of Festiva Maxima)
‘Paula Fay’ (bright pink semi double)
‘Mons. Jules Elie’ (light pink)

And here is a link for Clemson, which not only lists other peonies for the south not listed above, but gives cultural information.

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/landscape/flowers/hgic1170.html

ALL of these places are warmer than you!

The fourth picture is of Kansas. It is a myth that you cannot grow doubles in the south. They just have to be very early ones. Burma, Festiva Maxima and Kansas are the earliest blooming in my yard.

Also, while in North Carolina I went to the Sarah Duke gardens. They had many beautiful double and semidouble peonies. I strongly suggest that you visit for inspiration and to see for yourself how fabulous they are. I think that you have far more options than you imagine.

Donna

Life is too short to be without the beauty of peonies. Go for it!

This message was edited Feb 23, 2015 3:27 PM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7b)

Donna - Thank you for such a wonderful response! My gosh your peonies are beautiful, just like I remember my dads were! I remember that the Kansas variety was his favorite and he had a whole garden about 20 X 8 with 15 Kansas Peonies in the back with some sort of lower growing yellow Dahlias in front. This garden was located in our front yard and would literally stop traffic! He was so proud of this and all his gardens. As you can see my Peony memories are fond and I can't wait to give them a shot!

Again thank you so much for your wonderful response.

Don

Natick, MA

Don,

I grew up and am still living in Mass. and your comment about your dad growing peonies when you were young...they leave an impression. My mom had a garden full of peonies.
When Donna commented that you are in zone 7, if that is true....Much of Cape Cod is Zone 7...
so you should have no problem...we have several gorgeous peonies there! (my answer is so much shorter and less specific than Donna's, who is SO great in sharing her knowledge!) :)

Keep us posted!
Val

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Val, you are very kind.

Don, I just found some pictures from the Sarah P. Duke Gardens that I took in 2011, of the peony garden. I had put them in Dropbox, but I managed to retrieve them. Here are images of peonies in bloom at the beginning of May.

I did not tag them all (although Red Charm is conspicuous by its booming red presence) but I couldn't resist posting them for you.

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Natick, MA

Just gorgeous, Donna! THANK YOU for sharing those lovely photos! Helping me make in through a COLD winter day at work (I'm inside, but looking out at all the piles of snow!)

Göppingen, Germany(Zone 7b)

so, now on to the second question: Dahlias should do well in Zone 7, just plant them 2-3 weeks before last chance of frost, and get the tubers out after the overground part has been killed by frost. Store rather dry and dark at about 5-10°C

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.