I was just told - -

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

a brug needs to be either root bound and / or " Y " to bloom . Had not heard about root bound before .
What brought it up was I have 4 or 5 that have not bloomed in 5 years . They are about 10-12 feet tall and will be pruned to 4 / 5 feet soon . These were cuttings I have rooted and are in 5 or 7 gallon pots .
Anyone know if it is true ? I am about ready to repot the ones in pots [ 25 to 30 ] and generally remove bottom 2 inches of dirt , replace and repot .

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I bought a 4" white brug one spring and it bloomed that very summer and ever since.

I bought a triple white brug that has been a miserly bloomer

I have a seed-grown brug that is most def. pot bound and it has not bloomed in 7 years now. Ys galore.

All this to say that I've not found explanations for why some bloom profusely and some others don't. Since I don't plan on hybridizing, when I am on the market for brugs, I read statements like "blooming machine" or "likes TX sun" and go with that. I don't have the have the fancy-schmanzy brugs. Tried and true are just fine.

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks , I guess I am not the only one who has none bloomers .

Long Beach, CA

There is a lot to be said for a good fertilizer... with the mirco nutrition. Brugs need a lot of fert...liquid 2-3 times a week plus the granulated fert. I just got some new blooms from a few that had not in the past. I found that a pan under the plant does wonder. Had not realized that my babies weren't getting the water to the root... just coming out of the sides until I put the pan under it. Not getting water... not getting fert.... but my grass was happy as all get out!

What kind of fertilizer are you using? And they might need new soil. Maybe they have taken everything they could for the soil in the pot.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Vossner..................would that triple miserly bloomer be Wretched Mess? I have it, and have threatened to toss it for the last 3 years since it only blooms when it is in the greenhouse. This might be the year. I am sick of babying it. If anyone wants cuttings, let me know. I have no problem hacking it up.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Anna, we share the same feelings of disdain for the non-blooming punks but I'm 100% sure it's not WM, but rather a triple blooming plant, whose name I can't recall now.

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

I pruned all to 5-6-ft . Non bloomers still nothing - a frost pink , yellow;;ow and the monster white have flowers . I use 12-12-12 , 14-14-14 , 15-15-15 - whatever is on sale + the mini food stacks at dollar store .
Epson salts for snails and every couple of months or so 1 - a - day multi vitamins

Mulberry, FL

It all depends where on the plant cutting came from the mother plant. As to how quick its going to bloom. Some are divas they make a miracle grow bloom booster with the middle # 52 this gets them going. If your giving them whats ever on sale might as well not bother. These plants are very heavy feeders if you give them plenty they will reward you. If the cutting was taken above the y it blooms fast if it was taken from the stalk you might have to wait year or 2 I have a plant I have had for 3 yrs It is just budding up I don't give up.

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

I kind of figure the stuff on sale is old surplus stock and most of time I will use 2 15 / 20 lb bags within a couple of days .
I used to find expired vitamins , now it is just kirkland brand at Costco . When Costco has them on sale , I go 2 or 3 times - limit of 4 . I broad cast in plant areas [ not grass ] and make sure each pot gets at least 2 . Epson salts is bought at dollar store and spread around when raining or snails show up . [ I had Moxie , they sold out to terminex - they don't do plants - so I have Clark now ] They feed grass plants , but not edibles .
If plants need Iron [ yellowing leaves / veins ] they get a couple of iron pills . I have pruned the ones in pots and replanted / potted . Gave away 6 of them , people wanted for new house for shade - Fine but if they flower - call me - 2 were either Charles Grimalde or Jean paskle - the yellow one that smell sweet .
Still don't know if root bound helps with flowering .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.