Purple Fountain Grass question

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I live in Richland- zone 5b, I think. Been here 8 years, and really like Purple Fountain Grass- it grows great in a rock garden on the west side of my house. But it never comes back after winter. Some of the labels on plants I have bought call it perennial, but most say annual. Is there a grass that looks & grows like it that is a true perennial? I don't like replacing them every year, but love the beauty of it.

Bellevue, WA(Zone 8a)

It is listed as an annual some places and hardy in zone 9a to 10b in others. It will definitely be annual in Eastern Washington.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Bummer! It is so pretty, and I hate having to replace it every year.

Seattle, WA

I live in a temperate part of Seattle, but I do still lose plants every year. Last year was my first attempt at trying to protect a few items in a hoop house or by throwing plastic over them. I am curious to know what would happen were you to cut your grass down to the ground and mulch heavily. Nothing much to lose there. I recently potted up some fountain grass and was hoping it would survive in the hoop house. Did yours spread very much in the summer?

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

velveteena, I have tried cutting back and mulching heavily, but they still die. I have a potted volunteer that I will put in my greenhouse this winter and see what happens--otherwise I guess it is just replacing every year. Mine doesn't "spread" a lot, but grows to a beautiful plant in the full sun. Here's what it looks like yesterday.

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Seattle, WA

Now that is one gorgeous plant! My little plant will never look that good any way you look at it. What I see in your picture is a ton of seed! If you can be patient enuf to let them ripen on the vine, so to speak, perhaps you can harvest and attempt to grow some in your green house. What a coup that would be. Do a bit of research---you might stumble across a gold mine of purple fountains.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.