Native Perennials in Containers?

Maynard, MA

Does anyone have favorite combinations of native perennials for container gardening that can be overwintered in zone 6?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Ma getting hit by this blizzard yet? I do not- I also do not container garden, but may in a dim and distant future... there are natives, such as milkweeds, and lavendars that would work. Zone 6 just isn't close to my area very often to help. Hang in here, others will wander thru...

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't container garden either, but I would suggest that you give your favorite plants a try and leave some of their seeds in the pot to self-sow in case the parent plants don't make it.

The plant roots would have to be pretty hardy (up to 2 zones hardier) if you're going to over-winter them outdoors in containers.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Shayna lives in a 6a zone. I live in a 7a hardiness zone and overwinter hundreds of pots of plants outside, on the ground. Even young plants in 2 inch pots routinely survive the winter. Since the frost line where Shayna lives probably exceeds the root depth of many of the local natives, the difference between in-pot and in-ground is perhaps minor. My advice would be to choose natives that one likes, check the USDA database site where one can zoom in to see if plant in question naturally occurs in one's county, and try those that do. One can always collect pots in late fall and pile leaves over them for added protection. Do not overwinter pots in elevated locations like a deck as that reduces survivability.

USDA link: http://plants.usda.gov/java/

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Good point about not leaving them in exposed locations. I put potted plants in a very sheltered corner of my yard during the winter, mulch them heavily and let leaves accumulate around them.

Maynard, MA

Thanks, everyone. I'll definitely shoot for natives that are hardier to cooler regions than mine, cover with leaves, and overwinter in a sheltered location.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I always overwintered in a sheltered part of my yard in MA. I found though that I had to put terracotta and glazed pots up on bricks or something off the ground because if the pot froze to the ground, it could crack. the mulch idea is also good.
Martha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.