Helleborus Blooming

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

My Helleborus are blooming. They are acting a little invasive and are all over the place. This invasive act I like.
The last 2 pictures are Helleborus leaves that are dark purple. I don't know if this is some type of disease. I checked the internet and could not find it. Does anyone know what is happening to the leaves.

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding

OK - I'm jealous. A little too early here. Your purple leaves look like last year's with the effects of the cold. I don't think I'd worry yet. Here, we usually trim off the previous season's leaves if they look a little ratty (which they almost always do).

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Mine are still under 3 ft of snow.
Yes, they do seem to multiply, but that's good. I had several pop up in a gravel bed under the eaves at least 5 ft away from the parent plants.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Mine often bloom in January, but this year, they're still snoozing, even though we've had a mild winter so far. Don't know why. By the way, I think your leaves are just showing normal winterburn; perfectly normal. I don't bother to trim mine; seems to take care of itself, though I presume you could trim them if you wanted. I always look forward to my hellebores as the first sign that spring is around the corner.

While I wait for mine to come around, I was just in NC for the weekend and found this little guy just waking up!

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

It will be 66 today! I am heading outside to check on those things. I would not mind a lot of spreading in that area! Fingers crossed!

It will be 68 today, here in Georgia. Last year this time we had just recovered from snow and ice.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I just went out to check on my hellebores and they're absolutely getting ready to pop.
I'll bet they'll be in full bloom by supper!

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin

Their saying I'm ready!

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Just one bud. I would have missed it too.

We will be going down into the teens tomorrow night so I decided to take some more pics. I hope the blooms make it through the freeze. From 60 degrees to 19 degrees in one week.
I think #5 will be something a little different. This is it's first year blooming since coming up from seed.

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding

Some more pics.

Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding Thumbnail by weeding
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Very nice indeed. No worry about the low temps. These guys are amazingly tolerant of late winter frosts.

Maybe I can dig in the snow to see mine? :)

SeaTac, WA(Zone 8a)

I love hellebores! My earliest ones always start blooming the beginning of December. They reseed like crazy but i appreciate the babies!

Thumbnail by LakeLivingRos Thumbnail by LakeLivingRos Thumbnail by LakeLivingRos Thumbnail by LakeLivingRos Thumbnail by LakeLivingRos
SeaTac, WA(Zone 8a)

Here are some more!

Thumbnail by LakeLivingRos Thumbnail by LakeLivingRos Thumbnail by LakeLivingRos Thumbnail by LakeLivingRos Thumbnail by LakeLivingRos

Beautiful blooms! How many different cutivars are you growing?
No signs of spring here. Negative temps here tonight and tomorrow night with wind chills of -20 to -30. Might hit the 40's by the second week of March if I believe long-term forecast. Wah-wah.

SeaTac, WA(Zone 8a)

I have 9 cultivars of Hellebores! I just love them, and they are what gives me happiness in the lull of winter. :)
They all seem to do so well with absolutely no care. I just made sure to put them in very shady areas in my garden (I moved some that were in too much sun).
I grow
Helleborus x ericsmithii 'Winter's Bliss'
Helleborus x nigersmithii 'Ivory Prince' (I have a few of these)
Helleborus x s. 'Silver Dollar'
H. x ballardiae 'Merlin'
H. x b. 'HGC Pink Frost'
H. orientalis 'Conny'
H. o. 'Elly'
H. o. 'Frilly Kitten'
H. foetidus 'Stinking Hellebore'

Here are some more pictures! Cindy, hopefully yours are starting to come out?!

SeaTac, WA(Zone 8a)

Thought I would share some pictures of how I use the hellebores in my garden, not just up close ones.. sorry I love flower photos! :)

Thumbnail by LakeLivingRos Thumbnail by LakeLivingRos Thumbnail by LakeLivingRos
SeaTac, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh and these ones too!

Thumbnail by LakeLivingRos Thumbnail by LakeLivingRos Thumbnail by LakeLivingRos Thumbnail by LakeLivingRos
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Very nice. Unfortunately after one temptingly warm weekend a month ago, my hellebores have been consistently under snow since then. But this weekend, looks like we might get spring relaunched. I'm eager to see my hellebores reawakening. Your pictures are a tantalizing reminder that spring really is around the corner. Maybe someday soon even in Hobart?

LOL! You know, I always look forward to your spring pics, weerobin, but I think you got hit harder this week than we did (for a change). One more near-zero night for us and then the temps start to climb. I'm absolutely giddy with the thought of getting outside to investigate crocuses and snowdrops that haven't seen the light of day for weeks. I'm not going to complain though as we haven't had as much snow to deal with as the folks in the NE.
Thank you, folks of the NW, for keeping thoughts of spring in my mind with your pics!

Göppingen, Germany(Zone 7b)

OK, it's only the run of the mill invasive Heleborus Orientalis, which actually appeared in my parent's garden trough a stray seed, but it's the sheer mass of blooms that counts in this case ....

There have been lighter seedlings up to almost pure white in later years, but it seems the dark red will always be the most vigorous...

Thumbnail by pmmGarak
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I must say my reddest hellebores are also pretty invasive, but it's so nice to have such an expanse of bloom this early in the season when you appreciate it the most, so I don't mind. I like the contrasting forsythia, if that's what it is in the right margin...

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I spent time at our old place this past weekend replacing floors (we converted it to a rental property when we moved out), and every time I looked out at the front landscaping, I saw my plain white hellebores - they're huge and full of blooms.

I've got a great spot for more Hellebores here, and I've planted a few, but seeing all of the beauties here, I know I really need to get some more this spring.

I wish my plant tags were still in place. I would love to have the name on this one.

Thumbnail by weeding

That is a mass of blooms! Hoping to get out and check on mine later. Snow the other day but it's finally gone. Might do a spring cleanup in that bed if it warms up enough.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.