Perennial Combos in Containers

Maynard, MA

I'd like to start a container garden on my patio, but I don't want the expense or the physical challenge of planting annuals each year (health problems). I've been investigating perennials that might work (and overwinter) in Zone 6. (I'm choosing plants that are hardy down to zone 3 or 4.)

There are so many plants and variables to consider--the research is extensive! Can anyone give me a boost by recommending combinations of perennials that would work well together in containers in Zone 6?

Thanks!

Geronimo, TX

It has been a number of years since I lived in zone 6. Patios can be extreme microclimates, so be sure to consider light quality, how much natural moisture, and how exposed to wind. The larger the pot, the easier it is to maintain your plants.

Here are some perennials to consider --
bleeding heart
hosta
columbine
primroses
rose campion/lambs ear
bulbs -- tulips, daffodils, crocus, etc.
ajuga
lenten rose
chives

Also consider seeds for overplanting your perennials if container is large enough.
nasturtiums
sweet peas
lettuce
violas
basil

Good Luck!

Any idea what look you're going for? Will the pots be in sun or shade? How big will the pots be? Keeping in mind that you'll only get one bloom period for perennials, do you want some foliage interest? Do you want a dramatic statement with grasses? Do you want to do any fruits like strawberries or blueberries? (Blueberries would need their own pot due to their extreme acid-loving nature.) Bluetexas had a great idea with a few annuals for more color.

Maynard, MA

Quote from CindyMzone5 :
Any idea what look you're going for?

There will be a couple of pots in full sun and others in part shade. I'm looking for plants that are:
-good down to zone 4
-will combine together nicely in each pot
-pots that will have blooms at different times
-plants that the rabbits won't eat
-natives when possible

I like the old guide about putting "fillers, spillers, and thrillers" in each pot, though I don't need to do it in each container--just one or two.Other pots could be just one plant. In any case, I am short on spillers. And I am short on foliage interest.

One combo that I'm thinking of putting all in one container in the sun is: purple campanula, gaillardia with orange in it, and maybe some yellow coreopsis, too. These should be long bloomers and colorful.

Another summer combo I'm considering is purple salvia with shasta daisy, though I think it would need a foliage or foliage/spiller plant, too, and I'm not sure which to use.

A fall container or two would be nice (I don't have tons of room so I can't have too many containers.) When I was thinking about it before, I was thinking full sun, but recently realized the fall spot will be somewhat more shady, so I have to think again. There must be some sedums that would fit the bill. I'll check if aster novii-belgi will get enough sun in this spot. I'm open to a lot of things.

I've never planted grasses, but I'm open to them, too.

Spring will be colder than usual this year, and I don't know if I'll get a container for spring up and running in time. But if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Any and all suggestions much appreciated!!

I used to have a large pot with Hosta 'Krossa Regal' and Hakonechloa 'Aureola' in it. They lived in that pot for 3 or 4 years. I used to put the whole thing in a tall cold frame primarily to protect the pot over winter. No real flowers but pretty dramatic. I like some of the grasses in pots. Maybe a gold Carex or blue fescue would give some added color to any flowers you might add. I've also stolen a few "babies" from spider plants to root and tuck into containers. I take cuttings of Plectranthus 'Mona Lavender" to put in pots as well. Having blooms later in the season is always nice and the foliage color is great as well. I'm not great with sun-loving flowers having gardened mostly in shade but I'm sure if you check out other threads, you'll see some great pics of neat combinations.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.