Pinus banksiana 'Uncle Fogy'

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

This is a cultivar of Jack Pine that I really like. It is contorted and grows sideways. This one was growing out over the sidewalk, so they pruned it last year. Here are some photos I took a few days ago.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil

When I got in close with my cell phone, I noticed these "growths". I think it might be hardened sap from the pruning cuts, but I am not sure. They are firm, not sticky. When I got close I noticed the little holes bored into them. They are of varied sizes, the biggest may be a bit over 1/4". Any ideas what might live in there?

Thumbnail by Pistil

oops here are the other photos.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Bark beetles . . . not good.

Resin

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I can't say I've ever seen anything like that on the gazillions of Jack Pines growing around here. What a shame -- looks like a nice specimen of Uncle Fogy.

Interesting. Thanks Resin, I was curious about it. The tree might be a goner, but it was overgrowing the space anyway. So far it does not look sick...

Danville, IN

I'm sure Resin is correct. The beetles will eventually kill the tree. However, they can usually be killed by using a systemic such as Bayer 12-month insect control for trees and shrubs. Since the 'Uncle Fogy' is not really large (compared to regular Jack Pines) a yearly application should do the trick. You can get the Bayer systemic insecticide at garden centers and big box stores.

Well it's not my tree, it is on the grounds where I work in Seattle. I have some of the Bayer systemic, for my houseplants, and it seems to work great. I don't put it on my outside plants because I don't want to poison the other insects. In my yard, I figure if it has pests, maybe I should plant something else. Any insect inside my house is fair game!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.