February means hearts and flowers!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

It's time once again for a new thread. Welcome to February!

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1383777/#new

Yesterday, Jan. 31st, was Sandra's birthday. I wished her a happy birthday on FB but did not make it over here to DG until today. She said on another forum that she and Jerry were both under the weather. Maybe you will be able to get out and celebrate in a few days, Sandra. You can plan a double celebration for Valentine's Day! :D

Some of you are talking about daffodils, etc., beginning to poke their heads up out of the ground. Not so up here in the Ozark Mountains of southern Missouri. We are at least two to three weeks behind you folks in central Arkansas and further behind than that for you Louisiana gardeners.
I pretty much have my flower beds established up here now and there is not much to do in them except to watch and see if all of the perennials come back. I have decided to have a larger vegetable bed this season. Last year we just planted tomatoes, bell peppers, squash and green beans. The tomatoes just did so-so but the bell peppers and green beans really did well. The squash started out really good but the squash bugs got to them and we really didn't get any squash to speak of. :( I don't like to use pesticides but this year I may have to resort to sevin dust if I plant any squash. I will be getting my seeds from Baker Creek Heritage Seed. I could order the seeds online but since they are located only about an hour from us, we will probably go over there in March or early April. They have an open house the first Sunday of every month from March through November and have craft vendors as well as their assortment of seeds to sell. They have an old-time "village" with little shops and a vegan cafe. Last year we ate there and they had a wonderful vegetable soup. They don't charge a set fee for the meals--it is by donation only. You decide what you think the meal was worth to you and drop the donation in a can. It's a really neat place. They have a really big festival the first Sunday and Monday in May and again in October each year. Literally thousands of people turn out for those two big festivals.

Karen: sorry about your injury. I hope it heals soon and you can get back to your normal routine. I'm sure it is very frustrating not to be able to do what you want to do.

Here's a valentine graphic for you folks:

Thumbnail by marsue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Well not only are daffodils poking their heads up (mine are up several inches with buds) forsythia is blooming all over the place. The first time I saw it I thought it couldn't possibly be forsythia but it was and I keep seeing it. Crazy! Mine at home isn't blooming. I think the ones I see blooming are in lots of sun out in the open.

I've about given up on squash. I don't like to use pesticides and just about the time my squash start to really looking good in come the squash borer!

My friend that had the tea room had started just letting people pay what they felt they had eaten before she finally closed it. She would just set out soup, salad, cookies, etc and put out a basket for them to leave the money in. That way she didn't have to do anything other than set it all out and clean it up. She said she actually made more doing it that way than actually having a fixed charge and that people were very honest.

Richard is having a bad day today. He called his daughter earlier this afternoon off on a tangent of some kind. He wanted her to take him to this place that has lots of money! She sent me a text wanting to know what to do. We decided it would probably be best if she came to pick him up. She and her husband came over a few minutes ago and picked him up and are going to take him riding and try to get him settled down. He was glad to see her and almost forgot he wanted to go somewhere. She brought a bunch of of pictures of him with her and maybe they will look those when they get back. Never a dull moment!

Ripley, MS

Sorry Richard isn't doing well today. These colds we have are pretty miserable but not serious. In a few days I am sure we will be back to normal.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

In prowling around my yard today, forsythia is completely budded, with a few open blooms. My daylilies are all coming up, as well as rue and fennel. I need to trim my Drift roses, before they start putting on new growth.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Happy February Yall!!! I sincerely pray that groundhog will say that spring is here. I've had enough winter to last for awhile!!! Mardi Gras season is well underway and the balls have been going since New Years day!!!

It's amazing how even in Richard's most aggravated state that he remembers his daughter and how to get a hold of her. I know that this disease effects the short term memory first but that still amazes me. My uncle left Louisiana in the 50's to live in Mobile and has been around the world during WWII but of all the places he has been he more memories of La. than anywhere.

Hope all those that have been hit by the flu are doing better!!! It's been rough so far!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri I have his daughters telephone numbers typed in really big letters and taped next to the tv he watches. She always consults with me before she does anything. Of course I don't let him know she has talked to me. He is still on a tear about getting his money tonight. Some things you just can't let them do. He has no concept of money. I'm going to get some cash tomorrow and give him 80.00 or so. I'll give him a combination of 5's, 10's and 20's so it looks like more. He already has 40 or 50 dollars in his wallet. Of course he never pays for anything. He may lose it but hopefully it will satisfy him. I found out about a closed site on FB this weekend and joined it. It's shocking at some of the money issues/problems people have gotten into by allowing the Alzheimer patient to have access to funds. You can't reason with them because they no longer have that ability so it takes a lot of creativity and distraction to appease them! He can't figure out how to get his clothes on by himself so obviously he can't be allowed to handle money! He didn't want any help getting ready to go out with his daughter. He was mad at me! So he had his pants on backward (elastic putter pants), a pajama top not buttoned properly, one sock on and one sock off! He has some sock like slippers to wear around the house and he got confused and took his sock off instead of putting the slipper on! He was going without shoes until I told him he had to have some shoes on and we got him to put his house shoes on. Not all days are like this. This was a BAD day.

Sandra hope you and Jerry get rid of your colds soon. So far we have both escaped any type cold or flu. Shouldn't even mention it but I haven't had a cold in years.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Sandra, I wished you a Happy Birthday on FB, but didn't realize you and Jerry were sick. So here is another belated Happy Birthday wish to you and hope you and Jerry are both feeling better and that you'll get to celebrate a little bit when you feel like it.

It's not been really cold here, but nothing is coming up out of the ground yet. Today it's changed back to cold though and flurries. Brrrrr!!

Charlotte, did you trim your roses back? Funny thing, there was an article in our paper yesterday about that. A person had written in about when to trim back roses. The answer was that it sort of depends on the rose variety, but in general you should wait until late Feb-March until danger of heavy frost/freeze has past. (Climbers are different) And the amount you trim back also depends on the type, but most should be trimmed back about 2 feet more than you want them to grow in height. For grandifloras and floribunda, there were some other ways to trim them given in more detail to get bigger blooms. Basically, leave fewer canes, which makes sense. I only have Knockouts but the same applies generally to those too, and you can trim those back some and to shape and deadhead during the growing season too. I'm sorry Richard is having problems and you had a bad day with him. It must be so frustrating. You are so lucky you and his daughter have a great relationship about this. And she is luckier than she may know to have you.

Sandra, I wished you a Happy Birthday on FB, but didn't realize you and Jerry were sick. So here is another belated Happy Birthday wish to you and hope you and Jerry are both feeling better and that you'll get to celebrate a little bit when you feel like it.

It's not been really cold here, but nothing is coming up out of the ground yet. Today it's changed back to cold though and flurries. Brrrrr!!

Charlotte, did you trim your roses back? Funny thing, there was an article in our paper yesterday about that. A person had written in about when to trim back roses. The answer was that it sort of depends on the rose variety, but in general you should wait until late Feb-March until danger of heavy frost/freeze has past. (Climbers are different) And the amount you trim back also depends on the type, but most should be trimmed back about 2 feet more than you want them to grow in height. For grandifloras and floribunda, there were some other ways to trim them given in more detail to get bigger blooms. Basically, leave fewer canes, which makes sense. I only have Knockouts but the same applies generally to those too, and you can trim those back some and to shape and deadhead during the growing season too. I'm sorry Richard is having problems and you had a bad day with him. It must be so frustrating. You are so lucky you and his daughter have a great relationship about this. And she is luckier than she may know to have you.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I pruned my roses in the front. I still have some I haven't done. I forgot the ones in the pots on the front porch and never got around to some I have in the back. I have more roses than I realize when I start working on them. I have a climber on my pergola and I'm going to have to figure out how to cut some of it back. I have a big sucker coming through a Japanese maple. Got to get that out. I have another one on a big metal trellis and I need to do some pruning on it on the top. Thanks for the info!! It's cold here today but the sun is shining.

There is always so much pruning that needs to be done here. If I don't do some every year it really gets out of hand. I don't think I'm going to need to do much to my azaleas this year. Mainly taking a little off the ones in the front. I don't want them to block my windows. Lots of crape Myrtle pruning to do this year however. I've not been doing any pruning on the one by the sun room and it's just not working. I need to cut it way back. The top of it is leaning over the sunroom room trying to reach for the sun. I can't even see the blooms. I have another one next to the corner of my house in the front and I need to cut it way back. Too much stuff going on in that corner and it's blocking some of the light. I have a really big one in the front that I don't prune but there are some branches I want to thin out. Then I have another one in the front that also needs a lot of branches thinned out of it. The trash men are going to love me!

I couldn't get Richard to settle down last night. He seemed ok for a while then was just really agitated so I ended up giving him a pain pill (only thing I had) thinking that might help him go to sleep. Found the door to the garage wide open this morning so he had been up some time during the night but he is sound asleep still so maybe he will be in a better frame of mind today.

Sorry for the duplicate post. We've been having trouble with internet today and I didn't realize the first one went so I hit 'send' again thinking it didn't.

I finally got tired of trying to keep some of my stuff trimmed so when I had a little landscape work done and they trimmed some of my things that year, I just call them back when I need it done again. In the future when it needs it, I'm going to call someone to help with it. I've got too much and they get it done it nothing flat and clean it up too. I'm trying to stay ahead of some of it but I can't do it all anymore. .

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

That is a great idea about posting his daughter's number for him to be able to communicate with her. You are blessed to be able to work with his daughter through this. I know how upset his daughter must get with each of his calls. OMG, Charlotte I would have had a heart attack if I got up and found a door open. I had a problem years ago with me going to bed and the grands snicking out into the parking lot and having friends come in that I didn't know anything about so I had a control panel put in my bedroom for the security system and now when a door or even a window is opened I know.

I had my yard crew come in last week and we put out about 75 bags of pine straw and still have about 15 more bags left to put in. I'm also draining the hole where our old pool was located and having a new one installed but it may never happen. I have to have the hole drained and dry enough to walk around and then the next thing is it has to be 70 degrees so the liner will set up without wrinkles.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri it was the door from the house into the garage. The actual garage door was closed. However the back door was also unlocked. It was closed. I have locked the gate to the back yard. Not only locked it but also barricaded it with some stuff! A pain to undo when I need to go through the gate. But did it for safety. I had tried to get the power co to replace my meter with the kind they don't have to come into my yard to read. The person I talked to told me they didn't do that anymore! Well after keeping them locked out of my back yard for 3 months I got a note on the front door wanting me to read the meter and call in the numbers. When I did the lady I talked to told me they could come out and replace my meter with the new kind!!! Took them less than 10 minutes to do it. I was also concerned with them leaving my gate where the dogs could get out. Now have all that solved. My whole back yard is fenced. The back has a 7 ft privacy fence and the rest is chain link that has been there since the house was built. You can't even see it for the azaleas and other stuff. I wouldn't want to get tangled up in that mess!
My neighbor next door to me has a live wire running down the top of his back privacy fence which is not as tall as mine. It's probably 5 ft.

I probably need to get someone to help with some of the pruning, etc. around here. I need to have some work done on my storage buildings. Not the workshop but actually storage building for lawnmower's etc. A couple of panels need to be replaced and I have one door that needs to be adjusted.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Charlotte, I'm sorry about Richard's bad day. It is really hard on you and his daughter when you have to deal with him on those days.
I know a woman whose husband has dementia (not Alzheimer's) and last week he thought she had left him because things were getting too hard for her. I don't know who he thinks she is--maybe a nurse who has come in to help? Anyway, he keeps wanting to know where his wife is and in reality she is right there with him. It is sad.

Nothing going on up here in the blooming department. I love forsythia but don't have any here. I will have to get some because it does do well up here although it doesn't bloom as early as it does for you "southern" gals. LOL

It was cold here today and last night the low was down in the 20's. However, our temps by the week-end are supposed to be around 60F. This roller-coaster weather is hard on plants and people alike!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Richard has been pretty good today. He got off the money kick after I gave him some money this morning. Hopefully he want lose it but if he does he just does! Tonight the problem was his dog biscuits he gives to Samantha and Charlie. Something was not right with it and it was really aggravating him. I finally figured it out. I have a big canister to put them in but all of them wouldn't fit into the canister. He had been using the left over ones in the sack. Taking them out of the sack and putting some in an open cookie tin so he can get to them easy. Well he used all the ones in the sack up and I threw away the sack!!! I couldn't make him understand that all he had to do was take some out of the canister and put in the tin! It was just not right! It was not the way he had been doing it. Finally told him I would buy another sack and that appeased him.

Marilyn I have discovered a site on FB called Memory People. It is a closed group. If your friend does FB you might tell her about it. It is a site for caregives and Alzheimer patients. I have found it very helpful. I have not posted anything but I've found it helpful just reading the posts other people have written. Yes it is a sad disease! I have also just bought a book called The 36-Hour Day. It is a really good book about Alzheimer's and related dementias. I've read a lot of other books but this is the best everyday guide I've found.

Ripley, MS

So glad to read that Richard had a better day. This cold weather has everyone out of sorts and I am sure that could be part of his problem too.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Brr the cold weather hit down here too!! We'll be back to 70 Sat-Mon. it's impossible to dress appropriately when the weather changes every 5 minutes.

You have the patience of a saint, Charlotte!!!

Ashley got into a fender bender 1/23, nobody was hurt but they totaled her little car so Jimmy & I spent the day yesterday looking for her something else. We found her a clean, 1 owner 2007 Honda Accord with 31,000 miles. Of course, it was in Covington so we agreed to meet the salesman in Hammond and Ashley now has a new, used car. LOL!!!

Got a truck load of sand for the installation of the pool but it's looking like that won't take place until March. I need to get this done so I am ready to garden when the weather improves.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info about that FB page, Charlotte. I will tell her about it. Funny that you should mention that book. I have a copy which I am going to give her. I bought it just to educate myself about dementia and have found it to be very interesting and informative.

Jeri, that is very low mileage for a 2007 model car! Ashley should get some good years of service from it! Glad nobody was hurt in the fender bender.

I am so ready to get out in my gardens. I have been looking at various catalogs and I am itching to buy some plants! All the photos of the pretty blooms are really tempting! LOL I can probably use some more shade plants but my sun garden is just about full. At least it will be if everything comes back this spring. It seemed like it took a really long time for the Hot Lips Salvia to come back last season, although I did lose one of my plants but the other two made it. Time will tell. The catalog has some gorgeous coneflowers--the fancy kind--and I would love to have at least one of each but the ones I had in Cabot did not do well after the first good season. I have heard they only last about three years and that is not very good when you consider the cost.

I saw Ashley's pic of her new ride, Jeri. And glad no one was hurt in her wreck. I meant to say something over here. That is really low mileage for that car and they are supposed to be really good ones. Our oldest grandson just turned 16 and is able to drive on his own now. Scares me to death just thinking about it with him in Birmingham. And our DGD here in Huntsville is 15 and it will only be a few more months the way time flies around here.

I've ordered and received my tomato, squash and pepper seeds. Too early to get them started but getting closer. I hope they will do well this year. Love those tomatoes! I ordered from Baker seeds this year, Marilyn. It sounds like a great place to visit too. Hopefully I won't have too much to do with my perennials this season. I do have a couple of things I need to move but I'm not planning on doing much unless I decide to divide some DLs. There is one or two big clumps I know need it.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Yall!!! Jimmy poured over car sites on the internet for days. I think he did really good. I was able to turn in the rent a car and get my Terrain back. Yeah!!!

I'm ready to get out in the garden myself!!! I've ordered a few things online and have them scheduled to come in March. I've got to get a new bulb for my UV light for the pond. Just so much to do!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri that sounds like a really great car for Ashley. Someone didn't drive it at all! Glad she wasn't hut in the accident.

I hear you on the so much to do!!! I've got to get my walkway fixed this year. Didn't get it done last year.

Marilyn I like the 36 hour Day as it covers most every thing. I also like to read about other peoples personal experiences and how they worked through them. One that I particularly liked is Alzheimer's Disease a Journey With No End by Elizabeth Martin. She tells her story from her husband's diagnosis until his death. He was in his 60's and a very active person - a pilot with a charter service. It is also available on Kindle. I like to buy Kindle books when I can. They are usually cheaper and easier to keep up for me.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2015 7:26 PM

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Yall I can not win. Peyton jammed my trash compactor over the Christmas holiday and I just had time to google what to do. After studying the procedure I asked Jimmy to help me pull the compactor out b/c I couldn't budge it. He and I both pulled on it for about 5 minutes and then he raised the little rubber skirt at the bottom and when the men tiled my floor they tiled the compactor in. The only way to take the compactor out now is to chisel out the floor tile or remove the counter top. Soo the compactor will remain jammed unless I can come up with option #3.

Sandra how is Mrs Mills doing at Glenda's? Has her health improved? How is Glenda doing? I hope it works out for both of them.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Goodness that was smart of them!! I've had mine jammed before and I've gotten it unjammed without pulling it out. Trying to remember what I did. Whatever I did was just trial and error. I didn't think to google how to do it. Most of the time mine jams when it is full and the door pops out before it has finished compacting. It will make a funny sound and I can't pull the door out. I can just open it a crack. When that happens I have to let it sit for a while. Then I'll hold the door after I push it in good and turn it on. Sometimes it takes several tries to get it unhung and back in cycle. I'm sure they are all different however. That is one appliance I will not do without.

Ripley, MS

Mammaw is doing ok, she is about as well there as she was here. She still has to get up and sleep in her chair some nights because of her foot hurting. Glenda is happy to be home. She has a DIL that doesn't work that helps her out if she needs to go out. Jerry and I still miss her, but we are adjusting to it. Cayla is coming tomorrow so I need to run a few errands today.
I was thinking about ya'lls trash problem. I have started back to shredding all my light cardboard and junk mail. I went out and pulled some leaves back and then dumped the shreds out and recovered them with leaves. The dirt was so black there because I had already put cardboard there to break down. The heavier cardboard boxes I break down and use them for killing grass. With just the 2 of us here we usually have about 2 - 13 gallon bags for pickup. My food scraps go to compost too.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Normally that is what happens Charlotte but this time Peyton tugged on it while it was running and I've never seen it so far out. I've tried that method, Jim's tried that and Jimmy. It's just taking up space now and it's cocked open about an inch. Totally aggravates my OCD. LOL!!!! We're the trashy people I know. There is 2-3 bags of trash a day and then the boxes. I used the compactor to smash my cans to recycle to have cats spayed & neutered. Gotta figure something else out there.

That's good that everyone made the adjustment so well. I hate that is having so much trouble with her foot. Nothing seems to help?

I hope Cayla is doing better. I've been out of the loop and hadn't heard much since her surgery.

Sandra, that's what I do. We shred almost all mail and keep cardboard boxes to kill grass and weeds. I put down the cardboard and shredded mulch before I put the mulch back on top. And I have a compost bin I put the food scraps in and then layer with leaves and other stuff.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm like you all and use my shredded junk mail in my yard and cover it with mulch or pine needles. I also compost all my vegetables, coffee grinds, tea bags, etc. It put it all in a compost bin and then every 6 months or so pick it up and move to a new spot and cover the old pile with pine needles and leaves. I get tons of cardboard boxes from all the stuff I buy. A lot of them I keep. I covered my whole vegetable garden with big cardboard boxes. I cleaned it good before I covered it with cardboard so hopefully all I'll need to do is take the cardboard off. I also have a big bag of mulched leaves I plan to take down when I take the cardboard off and amend in the soil. I also use cardboard boxes all around the outside of the raised bed to help control weeds. I just cover them with mulch or in some cases nothing. Last year I covered a big area between the workshop and fence with cardboard and covered with pine needles. I am trying kill vinca and ivy in that area and may plant hosta there one of these days. I noticed some vinca coming through and have started putting another layer of cardboard boxes down. I have a lot of ivy I need to pull up before I finish.

Glad to hear Mrs. Mills is doing ok.

Richard bought a can crusher you attach to the wall a number of years ago. We never put it up. I tried using it the other week and it works pretty good. I need to find a wall somewhere (maybe the garage) to attach it so I can actually use it. Richard goes through cokes like crazy! He usually puts them in a big garbage bag on the back of his bathroom door. I need to figure out a better method. I just put them in the recycle. Guess I could sell them but a lot of trouble. I love my compacter because I can actually just change the bag out once a week for the normal household trash. Of course I end up with other bags from waste baskets etc. But normally I just have a couple of large trash bags every week.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Hey everyone just checking in still no internet other than Jimbos phone as a hot spot. I try not to overuse it too much. I am glad to hear everyone has transitioned to the New Year ok.
We can't seem to get over the after effects of the Flu. I guess that comes from being old. ha Ha
We just keep giving it back and forth to each other. The whole family has been sick.

Charlotte I am so concerned about you and Richard. I really think of you all the time. I do not know how you cope with all of itand still get all the things accomplished that you do.

Sandra I am glad things are going well for Cayla and Mrs Mills. Hope to see you the week you keep Eli. I really need some buddy time. I am going to my Sister in laws and spend a week of just girl time.

Charlotte I am with you I will not be without my trash compactor. I even bought a freestanding one at an auction. I thought I would use it out in the shop but I keep forgetting it is there. I would really like it at the camp . The bags have gotten so expensive though that we have started ordering the whirlpool bags online at Amazon. Sears is the only one locally that carries the paper bags anymore. I really do not like the plastic not as strong and won't stay put for me.

Sorry Jeri that you are with out yours. Hope Mary is doing well these days.

Daffs are blooming here and camillas ( in other peoples yards) . It has been so dreary everyday
I need sunshine and warm temps. Hope y'all are getting som.
Elaine catalogs can get us thru until the real deal is here. I bought some lilies at Home Depot but haven't put them in the ground yet. I need to find someplace to buy a lot of eptam or some type of weed preventer to throw in my beds to keep seeds from spouting. I have one bed that cypress vine took over last year. The birds plant a lot of things here. I need several 50 lb bags. I really don't like doing the chemicals but nothing else has worked.
This is a pic of stolen camillas. There is an empty lot behind the hardware store and I stopped and cut some blooms. The other one is Ella getting bloodied after killing her first deer.

Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Good to see you posting Cindy. I know your a lost without internet! I would be. I can see some of you in Ella. I have a pink camellia that has already bloomed. Don't know the name of it. It was here when I bought the house. All my other camellia have lots of buds but no blooms yet.

Cindy as you well know you just do what you have to do. My antiques booths are probably going to be the thing that helps me keep my sanity. So glad it is so close by. I am actually making money with them which is a bonus! I haven't painted much furniture this winter. It's been too cold. I do really well with my new things from market. I've been putting all my money into building up my inventory with those things. I am closing my booth in the Gallery side. It's just too much rent for the amount sales I get out of it. That side just hasn't taken off very well. Some people don't even go into it. I didn't agree with the way they laid it out to begin with and don't like the colors. I think it is too sterile feeling. A lot of folks have moved out of it after the first of the year. Only about a 1/3 of the space is rented.

Richard was in a pretty good frame of mind today. In his better days he knows he is not functioning right. Riding home from dinner tonight he said "it's hell getting old and senile and not knowing what you are doing".

Cindy when the paper bags got almost impossible to find I started just using a regular plastic trash bag. To me it works just as good as the plastic compactor bags. I know what you mean about the plastic not staying put like the paper. But with the regular plastic trash bag I have more I can pull over the edges. I do have to keep readjusting it and pulling more of the bag over. I hadn't thought about buying them from Amazon. May need to check into that. Is there anything you can't buy on Amazon!!!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I don't think there is anything you can't buy on Amazon!!! I buy the big bags of cat & dog food and they ship it right to the house. I get free shipping and pay no sales tax so it works out about the same and I don't have load buggy, unload buggy, & unload again from the car.

It's totally a day by day disorder getting older without adding dementia to the mix. I'm a relatively smart person and have worked with computers since the 70's but these kids can work them so much more efficiently and faster than I can. I can type over 70 words a minute on a keypad but I become all thumbs on the phone. Add my shakey hands and it's really fun.

I'm pumping water out of the pool hole in the hopes that the installers will come Monday to install the new pool.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

There are some things I buy from Amazon for the same reason Jeri. I bought a new rug for the kitchen and I didn't even look locally. It was so mulch easier to just have it delivered to the house. A lot of things I order because it is so much easier than driving all over town looking for it. Hey I wonder if I can order mulch from Amazon!!!! LOL

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

LOL!!! Going to check now!!

Ripley, MS

Amazon is the best !!!! If you have a credit card that gives you points on purchases, you can tie that to your Amazon account and redeem your points there. I redeemed mine the first of the year, got a new pair of Sketchers, Jerry some Tshirts and undies, seems like something else too, can't remember now. I use my card for all big purchases, then come home and pay it on line and get points on it.
I meant to tell y'all also, if you scan your Walmart receipts ??? I have been doing that since back in the fall. They check for lower prices in the area the store is in and will refund any difference. They are also letting you put that onto a "Bluebird Card, as Walmart bucks" untill the-end of Feb they will double that. I bought Bryan some root beer he likes and got 1.98 back because Wal-greens had it all the lower price, I put it on the card and turned it into 3.96
I hope they keep it going after Feb ! The only catch is you have to spend it at Walmart on the Bluebird card, but that is where I go all time so suits me fine !

Cindy, I am excited to see you too ! We will get together on the exact dates next week, they changed one of Cayla's apps, so I need to look at the dates again. I am still going to be there that week, just not sure which days yet.

It's so nice here today and supposed to be tomorrow too! WhooHoo! In the mood to do a little clean up and trimming in the yard and dig up a couple of things I need to transplant. When and how much do hall trim back clematis? And when do you cut back your Hot Lips?

Cindy, good to hear from you. Miss Ella is so cute! Y'all must be so proud of her getting her first deer! My DH, our 2 sons and 2 of our grandsons are hunting wild boar in south Alabama this weekend. So far nothing, but they have seen a lot of fresh sign, and caught some fish for dinner today. Having fun camping and hanging out.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

I have cut back my Hot Lips already, about 3 weeks ago. And Clematis will be in the next 2-3 weeks for me. Maybe sooner if this warm weather keeps up. I'm trying to keep an eye out for any real growth, but so far only the little swollen buds at the stem. I'm trying not to get too far ahead of myself. February can be our coldest month, so I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Same here! I think it is too early, but dang it's nice out there. February can be brutal here too. I did dig up my black and blue salvia and put it in a pot. Don't know exactly where I am going to put it and it can be divided so if anybody wants some speak up.

I also dug up that Peruvian daffodil or Spider daffodil. That thing has the biggest bulbs! Do any of you have it? If you do, don't let it get too big! I don't even know where mine came from, but it was too close to a DL I had ordered so it may have come with that since it was one I think I ordered. I replanted about 5 of the bulbs in different locations and still have about that many left. I'm just glad I dug it now while the ground was soft and it wasn't blazing hot outside.

Ripley, MS

Elaine, Cindy gave me a start and I may have given you one, but not sure. I had to dig up a clump that I let get too big and it took me half of a hot summer day to get it up. I think it weighed about 75 pounds ! They do grow quickly !

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sounds like the Pervurian lily is something I don't need!! It was a beautiful day here yesterday. I went on a hike with Sarah right after lunch. We went over one of the bridges and walked a long way by the river. We walked for an hour and half but don't know how far we went. Then we stopped by a nursery that was fairly close by. You wouldn't believe the number of people a the nursery!! In February! Don't know what they were buying or maybe they were like us and just looking! It was Sarah's idea to stop by the nursery - I couldn't imagine there would be anything to look at in Feb. Then I took Richard out for a while. Last night I was pooped!!!

It's very overcast this morning but warm. It looked this way yesterday early but but up in the morning the sun came out. So maybe it will do the same today. I need to start racking up the pine needles in the back. I also need to get some mulch for the front beds. This warm weather is causing everything to just pop up!! I need to get mulch down before all the plants come up. It's planted so thick I can't mulch after they come up. I've got to do something to keep the weeds out this year.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Look what I found in my back yard today . I have them in this stage all over the back. I think the stones warm up the ground.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

WOW!! You are way ahead of me.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

You're supposed to be way ahead of me Jeri!! The daffodils in the front are not as far along as in the back. Although I do have one bunch in the front that will probably open up later this week. Crazy!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.