Green Dragon Orchid

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

WHOPPIE, WHOPPIE, WHOPPIE. I AM GOING TO BE A FIRST-TIME DAD!

Some may remember my posting last summer that I had tried my hand at growing a few varieties of terrestrial orchids and failed miserably. I had two varieties of Spathoglottis plicata (white and purple), Sarcoglottis sceptrodes ("Green Dragon Orchid"), and Vanilla plantifolia ("Vanilla Orchid"). The only one I had reasonable success with was the Vanilla Orchid. I lost the vast majority of the Spathoglottis plants and thought I had about lost all my Sarcoglottis plants.

Since there were a few of the Sarcoglottis plants that still had some nice, firm roots (the leaves were about rotted to nothing!) I decided to repot those and used 1/2 potting mix and 1/2 medium fir bark. Well, long story, short, I salvaged about a dozen plants and some have nice, new leaf growth. Today I discovered several of those plants have buds emerging from the crown of the plants. It looks like I will actually see flowers for the first time! This is what brings me the most joy - seeing orchids bloom for the first time. These plants are survivors, so I am doubly happy.

Since I have never seen any of these bloom, I don't know how long it will take to actually see flowers. The last picture is what I hope to see soon.

Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.