Sick Japanese Maple

Melbourne, Australia

Hi everybody,

We have a beautiful Japanese Maple in our yard that has recently started to look worse for wear. On inspection, I have noticed as though something is burrowing into the tree and am now panicking as I don't want to lose it.

I have attached a couple of photos of what I have discovered and am hoping someone can tell straight off what is causing the damage.

Thanks for your help in advance :)

Cheers,
Georgie

Thumbnail by Bails Thumbnail by Bails
Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

There has been something there for quite a while, I see some recovery happening (I think).
A long vertical crack like that often happens with inconsistent watering. It got somewhat dry, then got really wet for a while.
If there is any rotting wood in there I would remove what I could.
Do not use any sort of 'pruning paint' or 'sealer' that is black or petroleum based.

You might talk with a local expert who would know if a particular fungicide might help reduce the growth of fungus in the wound.

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

We have had an exceptionally bad Winter this January February and March, There was so much snow that the deer were starving and came into my garden and ate everything that they could see above the 3' snow line. Mine is (was) a garden of mostly rhododendron, axles, Japanese maples, and other shrubs, and it is so sad to see just bare twigs where there were once shiny green leaves and fat buds ready to bloom.
I have decided to fence in the entire 3/4 acre yard. to keep it from becoming entirely eaten.
I have this plan. I will use heavy duty plastic netting in 7 foot heights with the 6' green iron posts that have little tags and holes along the length. By doubling the fencing with a second layer of the plastic I will get a stronger fence with a 5'5' height and 1/2' in the ground. THe fence will be reinforced (with the plastic cord that is used for cutting and edging grass) woven thru the plastic 1" plastic squares every 4 " in and out from one end to the other. I also thread 3/4 black iron pipe in the bottom of the plastic netting to keep the bottom of the fence from allowing deer to sneak under the fence. Home Depot will cut the pipe to desired lengths. I know that deer can easily jump over a 5.5' fence but they don't do so unless they are being chased or scared. Using a second length of the plastic fencing that is woven together will make the fence much hardier to ram through. There is also a wire covered black plastic that can be purchased but it is much more expensive than the 2 layer 1" square heavy plastic reinforced with the plastic cord, and the result is a fence that is still difficult to see at a distance. I will also spray, with a deer deterant spray, the fencing at a 3.5' height in the areas of the trails most used by the deer. Wish me luck and a better winter next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.