Got any Dutch or Siberian Irises?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

We have a small museum here in the mountains of NC. It's our 6th year so we are quite young. I work on the grounds. I am looking for plants for the beds. We have done fairly well getting extras from our plants in our home gardens, but I need some Siberian and Dutch irises. I can't trade at this point but would be glad to pay shipping. I hope some of you will donate those that you have plenty of. I'm hoping for mixed colors....Betty

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Betty, I have Siberian Iris. They are the basic "Ceaser's Brother". I'll send them for postage if you are interested.

Yes, Caesar's brother would be nice. How many can you spare? Can they transplanted now?
Postage is fine.
We have a lot of the blue flag here, native Virginia iris but the Caesar's Brother appears to more decorated..........Betty

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I can send quite a few. I need to thin out mine. They are aggressive, as you probably know. They encroach into the rest of my flower bed. I have to "edge" them about every three to five years. They are big clumps. I can wash the dirt off, but postage will still be high I would think. Let me know what you want to do.
Also, it is pure mud right now. I could not dig them up until the soil dries out some.
I use them mostly for erosion control: excellent. Downside: have to keep them in control.
They are "tough". I think you can plant them anytime throughout the season.

I'm ready. Send me about 2 dozen with as much dirt off as possible. I will plant a few here and a few at the museum and see how we do. If they multiply madly, I'll just sell some in a couple of years in our annual plant sale.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

If you do sell them, I hope you explain to the buyer their nature.
I'll let you know when I mail them out.

I haven't received them yet but not sure you know that our mailing addresses are under our names. But to make things simple, my address is:
Betty Sherrill
6 N. Dogwood Lane
Lake Toxaway, NC 28747
Thanks again.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi Betty, since I wrote last, my husband has had hip surgery. I have been busy taking care of him. I will get them to you as soon as things settle down here. I will d-mail you when they go out. I should have explanined that. [thought I did :)]

Natick, MA

Birder,
Hope yr hubby is recuperating well.
Question: in general are most Siberian iris this prolific? I just bought my first ones yesterday and if so will take that into consideration in planting.
Thx and take good care!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, they are a little hard to control. I use them for erosion control if that tells you anything. They have big, fibrous roots that form a mat where the soil meets the plant. I use my sharp shooter shovel to slice into the roots. I have to put all of my weight on the plant in order to get the shovel into the roots.
I still like them, they are quite showy, and they serve a good purpose besides just looking pretty.

Natick, MA

Thanks, Birder,
I was thinking of putting them either in my main perennial garden or along the driveway garden - which gets less water as the water seems to run right off, down the incline.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Welcome.
That's where I have mine. They work like a charm. They will encroach onto the rest of the garden. I dig them out about every three years.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Betty,
I'm sending your siberiean iris out today.
Beth

great, I'm looking forward to it.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Betty, why haven't I heard from you? I don't understand what's going on? Did you not receive the Siberian Iris I sent to you?

So sorry to be so amiss with you. I have been horribly sick with a bad cold that is now 3 weeks old. My DH had it first and gave it to me.
The iris arrived in good shape and have been planted in 2 places. I saved a few for my daughter, too.
Did you get my check to cover the postage? I wrote it on March 29.......Betty

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Betty, I received you cute note and the check today. I am glad you could use the Siberian Iris. Sorry to hear you have been sick. I had a cold for five weeks. It was awful. Maybe since Spring has finally arrived, we will not have colds for awhile.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.