Transplanting Giant Bird of Paradise

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I have a white bid of paradise that was planted too close to my house and it needs to get pulled up and transplanted. My concern is when is the best time to transplant it without killing the plant. From what research I have done, most people suggest to transplant them in late winter, when they are not actively growing. Problem is winter is when it blooms here in Tampa, so I know the plant is not in a dormant state. It has an open bloom now.

Does anyone here have any experience in transplanting them and any advice for me?

Happy Gardening,
Shauna

Thumbnail by shauna1219
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

you'll have another bloom soon enough and loss doesn't adversely affect tree. Additionally, plant might not even skip a beat and continue the blooming process. Obviously it likes your garden. I think priority would be to relocate to better location. It might even thank you with more or more freq. blooming in the future. best time would be after a rain, when ground is soft and workable but not a muddy mess.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I agree. Bird's are tough and when I grew them, I re-potted whenever I had the time. I never worried about the time of year. Just try to get as much of the root system as you can. The limitation there is having a root ball so large you can't move that sucker!

Ken

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

drdawg43, do you have a white bop in the ground in Starkville? Mine is in a pot which I bring in the greenhouse each winter. The older I get, the harder it is to do, plus the size it is makes it difficult. I've been afraid it would get killed if I put it in the ground. It has a lot of pups, so I'm planning on dividing some of it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.