Starting Seed

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

When do you start your veggie seeds in Georgia? I have already started some seed because I want large plants to plant out in April. I have also started my spring veggies like collards, kale, turnip and lettuce.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I start peppers and eggplants in mid to late February and tomatoes in March. Keep in mind I am starting seed here in Atlanta to go into a garden further north that is one zone cooler. I'd only go two weeks earlier if I was still planting vegetables in Atlanta. For me the problem with starting too early is it requires potting up multiple times before the weather is stable enough to plant out or I'm running plants in and out during the hardening off process. All that plant babysitting becomes a chore rather than a labor of love. Everything else you mentioned gets direct seeded. I no longer do lettuce in spring and am growing fewer greens, with the exception of mustard that matures and is out early and kale because it tolerates heat and really takes off come fall.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I am planting more green leafy veggies this year. I want to get healthier and eat more leafy veggies.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Guess it's more correct to say we grow fewer types of greens not fewer greens. We grow four types of kale, two turnips and old fashioned Southern mustards as well as several Asian varieties. We also grow two or more types of cabbage in spring and fall. We plant most of our greens in the fall and aside from enjoying them fresh, I can and freeze.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.