Chicken Soup with Cabbage and Apple

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Wait! Don't go! You have to try this soup, you WILL be surprised!

With the arrival of January, known in the United States as ‘National Soup Month’, I was flipping through recipes, and thought I’d give his one a shot. I’m so glad I did! A hearty, healthy soup that goes a long way!

This soup is not only delicious, but for creative cooks who like to experiment, also provides a springboard for additional ideas. Leave out the sausage, use mushrooms instead. Leave in the sausage, and sneak it under the table to your dog. Add a bit more broth, and toss in some rice. Peel the apples and dice them instead of slice them. Leave out the meat and use vegetable broth for a vegetarian soup. So many ideas come to mind. If you like it on day one, you are going to love it on day two!

The first time I saw the recipe for this soup, I sneered at the thought of cabbage. Memories of cabbage stench wafing from a pressure-cooker through my childhood home has kept this vegetable at an arm’s length most of my life. Pigs in a Blanket, yuck! Back to the recipe, then I noticed the inclusion of sausage. Again, not a favorite ingredient of mine, but I pulled the page from a magazine anyway, placing it among the umpteen other ‘might try one day’ recipes I’ve collected over the years. Were we in for a surprise!

Apples in my soup, you ask? I thought the same thing, too, but as I usually do, cooked the recipe as instructed, including the sliced apples, and was pleasantly surprised. I do suggest peeling the apples, the ever-so-sweet taste of Granny Smith survived the soup, and their flavor was enough for a treat on the tongue. The later you wait the add the apples, the more you’ll taste them, but they could easily be confused for potatoes.

For our family, this recipe is a keeper.

For the recipe, and complete, step-by-step details, please visit my tutorial:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Chicken-Soup-with-Cabbage-and-Apple/

Give it a chance. You will be surprised. :-)

This message was edited Feb 24, 2015 5:50 PM

Thumbnail by WUVIE
This thread has 10 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!