should I change my name?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Greetings from Seattle.
No, I am not getting married. But I might change my DG "handle". When I joined, I had never joined an on-line group before, I did not know that my log-in name would be my public name, so I did not choose an astoundingly clever or convenient name, as is obvious.
I asked last year if I could be PineNut (DG will change your name once only) but the administrators said no, because there was once a member named pine nut, in 2007, who left without ever making a post :(
Today while reading a garden book I suddenly realized I could be Chlorophilia! It's a bit long, but I suppose it could be shortened to the nickname philia (I am female so this works).
Pros- catchy. shorter than my current name, so easier to type and remember.
Cons- you know me as mlmlakestevens, prior threads would have my old name (I think).
What do you all think about my brilliant idea?

Thumbnail by Pistil
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Has a Shakespearean ring to it... though as I recall, Ophelia was pretty bonkers.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Uh, I use my real name. Only here. It didn't occur to me not to do it. And it works fine.

But... there are a billion Donna Macks out there. Quite a few in my state, And I don't use my middle name. And since I don't have a Facebook account, I am very hard to find.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

If you want to change it, change it. You have made enough of an impact with people to want to follow this change. Your personality shines through in your posts, plus Lake Stevens, WA would remain and be a good tip off.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah, why not make it PineNut2 or something like that? You can still be PineNut, you just have to add a number or something.

I don't like Chlorophilia because my mind immediately went to , which is used to make people pass out. At least that's what I've seen on tv.

Ok- Maybe I don't want to be crazy Ophelia, or deadly chloroform... Good thing I asked for advice.
How about Pinenutter? Of course that still means I am crazy but perhaps not deadly? And certainly not boring.

Or... you could use Pinolo, Pine Nut in Italian.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Homonym...

PieNut. PyeNut. PineUtt. PyneUtt.

If unique is attractive, how 'bout Apomixis...or Hippocrepiform...or Sterigma.

well I just spent an enjoyable hour looking at names.
I kinda like pinolo, but it sounds masculine.
Apomixis seemed good, until I looked it up and thought it might mean I was really weird.

Had to nix (used already, dangit): Anther, Auxin, Chimera, pip, pinyon.

Found possibilities:
Adventitious- too long, hard to shorten, but means I sprout up wherever I want.
Cybrid- short, catchy. (a plant produced by a test tube kind of hybridization). But it is also a brand of Paintball gun.
Scion- but probably when used for people is masculine? Also now it's a car.
Dioecy- hmm, this could work.
Ploidy- this too might be a fine name
Pistil- short, catchy, definitely feminine. And talk about a homonym...
This one just came to me: Diggerator. It was a sit-on toy backhoe my parents got us to dig in the sandpit by the road. I spent many happy hours moving earth. Nobody could have used this one already.

Votes?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Adventitious, Diggerator and Pistil are all cute.
Since people who talk to you often shorten long names, I think Pistil works best, because people will write Pistil. Otherwise you'd be called , eventually, Dig or Advent.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

I vote Pistil.

At least that name would show you were receptive...

I like Pistil too!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm down on Pistil too :)

Pistil it is.
I need to look in the family photo album and see if there are any pictures of the diggerator. What a great toy that was.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol that's a real thing?

I for one promise to call you Pistil and not shorten it to Pis.

LOL!

Too late, sallyg.

"The Moving Finger writes, and having writ, moves on!"

http://manneken-pis.com/

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

In some cultures your first choices, including mistakes, are considered your history and therefore relevant. Isn't real as relevant as clever? I thought I was clever with MaypopLaurel, a combo of our cottage name and my real first name. For some reason I am sometimes called Mary here.

Okay, I'm on a tablet. Nofair.

ah, VV. Euros are really getting cheap, is it time to stock up and plan an excursion?

Laurel, that's odd to me. But better than missingrosie, who is sometimes shortened to Rosie- dear departed dog's name

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Does anyone else think it's weird that the little naked kid is ripped? Just look at his arms, he's jacked.

It is time indeed. Best exchange rate I can remember since Europe went Euro sometime around our 2003 trip.

We expect to visit family in Germany at winter holiday season this year - after a four-year drought since December 2011 niece's wedding. Should be a grand time - with Riesling, wurst, Kolsch, Huxelrebe, creamed Kohlrabi, schnitzel, Siegerrebe, Christmas markets, Deutsche Weinstrasse, Lindt factory sales room, Gewurtztraminer, white asparagus, Saumagen, Eiswein - and nice warm mixed brotchen for breakfast daily. With rich coffee.

Mmmmmm - I'm lapsing into a coma now...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley

I knew I put my name question in the right forum-y'all are funny!
p.s. Here is a link to the one and only photo I found on the internet of a Diggerator (the last picture).
http://www.livermoreclasspics.org/schools/preschool/marys/63-64/mwf-pm/pics.htm
Sincerely,
Pistil

Are those pillows on the banquette seating? are those crocheted warmers on the softboiled eggs? How cozy!

Oh yeah Pistil, I have seen one of those once, rare sight if not totally extinct now, kids could probably pinch their fingers some way.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

So the diggerator is a toy of sorts? Weird.

Sally, I did years ago venture forth to inquire about Rosie and try to shore up the circumstance. She was way more over Rosie than I supposed but now that you mention it, Missing would not be the same without a Rosie attached.

We are definitely planning on taking advantage of exchange rate benefits this summer. Probably back to Spain and Italy where we visit every few years. I'd love to go to Greece as well. We have friends in Germany and my family is from Austria. No plans to go there though.

It was the best toy ever. You sat on the seat, it could rotate 360 degrees, and the arm and bucket were on cables. You scooped up the dirt, lifted it, turned, then released the flap and the dirt would fall where you intended. Totally kid-powered, and you could actually dig in our sandy soil, once you learned to coordinate all the movements. Not weird at all, and was in fact 'educational'. Too bad the photo in the link does not show the kid using it.
p.s. I just went outside to get a load of firewood. We have Spring Peepers! Spring is here!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Well now that you've explained it, that sounds like a pretty awesome toy! By the time I was a kid, everything was made out of plastic, i.e. Tonka trucks and such.

P.S. woohoo, good for you (sarcasm) we still have another solid month of winter :(

Pistil, that's the second time someone has said Spring is here...a big ba humbug to that. If only I were half the person my cat thinks I am, sigh.

Regarding your diggerator, we have two in one of our small town parks, two different sizes. Ours are late models, circa 1990 I expect. Yes, of course I had to get on one (may do it again), lol.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah, ba humbug indeed. I have my parents telling me how their spring is coming up. They are in 9b in the greater Phoenix area. It's funny though as they say it's not spring yet but were out in tank tops and shorts putting in rock borders last week....Lol

Mipii we need to book a Las Vegas vacation. I didn't like it the time I went (not gambler) but check out the latest attraction here:

http://www.digthisvegas.com/

OMG...first of all, congrats on the name change Pistil -- who-hoo!
And, real life diggerators...YES, YES! Excavating is much better than gambling! Count me in!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh I've heard about such thing. How cool is that!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.