Revisiting Machine Advice

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Several years ago the topic of machine advice came up. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1290655/ At that time I added my two cents and talked about looking for another machine as well as the research I had done. I have several machines, some going back to when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and thought I'd rehab one or more of those to leave and use at our cottage. While they are perhaps adequate I'm not able to do the fun things that my Bernina Activa Patchwork Edition can do. So I was wondering what new machines have been acquired in the past few years by stitchers here on DG and what do you think of them (pros and cons). I started at the bottom, determined to make due with a lower quality bargain, but the quality and the performance has been more than a little disappointing. I keep reluctantly raising my price point 'til I'm back to considering Bernina even though I know there are better machines for doing quilts. Meanwhile, I almost always hand quilt but use a machine to piece, for garment construction, costumes, crafts and lots of home decor including upholstery and drapery. Thirteen years later my Bernina has handled it all and never needed service. I have wanted to look at the Elna 620 and 660 but can't find a dealer who is carrying the 620. The Janome 3160 QDC interests me as do the Bernina B530 and B550PE. The B550 is closest to my current machine. I may have an opportunity to purchase a Bernina floor model if I wait awhile. Does anyone own any of these machines? Thanks in advance for responses.
Laurel

This thread has 82 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!