Let's meet at Sorticulture 2015

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Sorticulture 2015 is June 12 ,13, 14 at Legion Park in Everett, WA. It is a "Garden Arts" festival with vender booths out in the open air at the park. It is big, and I am not sure one could look at every booth in a day. The theme is of course garden art, but lots of the booths are just plant venders. There is food and music, and tables under the trees or in the sun. They have all kinds of stuff- a vender from Snohomish specializing in carnivorous plants for example, or garden gates with latches consisting of bicycle gears (you have to turn the crank).
I propose we set a day where we meet there and have lunch.I would love to meet y'all in person!
I suppose I would prefer Friday, but it doesn't really matter to me as long as we decide soon so I can schedule a day off.

Spokane, WA(Zone 6a)

If I am available that weekend, I will drive over the hill and meet all of you. This gives me something to look forward to. Great idea MLS!

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I would love to go, but that time in June is usually crazy/busy for me, so I will look forward to seeing pictures posted of the event. It sounds great!!

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

If we have moved and are settled in, we would be happy to attend. Otherwise, lot'sa pix please.

OK, I will keep the weekend open, and do a reminder when it gets closer.

Bellevue, WA(Zone 8a)

I will be there! :-)

I am going to ask for that Fri-Sunday off.

Thumbnail by Pistil
Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm planning to go also!

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

I'm putting it in my calendar now! Hopefully this year I'll be able to arrange transport. Do you know if there's a train station in Everett?

Is there one in Springfield?

yes big train station right in Everett. It is on the way to the event for me so if I knew when a train arrived I could pick you up.The train station is also the central bus station for Everett, probably it is easy to get to the Park on city bus also, it's only a couple miles.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh yay! And Evelyn, yes, there's one in Eugene, which, for people who drive, is all one big town. But I have a lovely neighbor who is willing to drive me to the station. And thanks Pistil, I will keep that in mind.

This should be fun.

Just thought I would "bump" this up to the top-
We have some new PNW members this spring, and I wanted to extend the invite to meet at Sorticulture to the newbies.
Also- the PNW forum lost most of the regulars a few years back. Let's hear from some of you? We can reactivate the forum.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I spend 98% of my garden-chatting time on ATP now. Many people who were on this forum In The Old Days are in the ATP PNW forum now.

There, I don't have to zoom in and out, and scroll left and right, just to read the text.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I won't be able to do Sorticulture this time, but perhaps there will be a future event I can attend. I would like to get to the Arboretum someday. A few others might remember our ill-fated/ totally rained out trip!

I have not posted much recently, just because of life and too much to do. It was a huge change when forum regulars went on to other pursuits in life, and I also would like to rejuvenate here. I do miss exchanging ideas, and I will try to get more posts going and share what I am up to in the garden.

I personally do not like the setup of ATP, something about too much emoticons and flashing icons, and the members' headlines and signatures taking up space. I don't have to scroll left and right or zoom in and out on DG, but I'm sure that would be annoying, Rick. I wonder if there is a setting you could fix. Also, the people I got to know best in the "Old Days" are not on ATP either, so I don't have any desire to migrate to a different internet location, but would prefer to see this one grow again.

I think the meet-up at Sorticulture is a great way for people to get together, and I'm sure you will all have a great time! I'd love to hear all about it and see pictures.

This message was edited May 12, 2015 10:48 PM

mhf-
I know spring is always quite busy for you. Would you like to suggest a time later in the year for a day trip to the Arboretum?
I had the same response to ATP, liked the people but for me it was just too time consuming to use it too, and decided to just stick with DG.
For RickCorey and anyone else with the same problem- I recall when I first did DG it seemed clunky, then found out it works better on Firefox rather than Internet Explorer.

Pistil ~ (...and RickCorey) I am pleased with the Chrome browser. Everything is just right...so far.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Maybe we could do an Arboretum trip sometime in the second half of July. I am in charge of a summer reading program at my school, so the first part of the summer is likewise busy, but by then I will have some time to do things for me.

Great let's keep in touch about it.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

MHF,

At the time DG made the changes, I tried many things including installing FireFox. I finally got DG to be semi-usable for me. I spend most of my garden-reading time on ATP anyway, so I put up with the scrolling here.

The forums I'm most interested in, here, have almost no traffic. Irrigation, Soil and Compost, Saving Seeds and Seed Germination. It was disappointing that the "Raised Beds" forum had almost no traffic after they named it something like "High-Yield Gardening".

>> I personally do not like the setup of ATP, something about too much emoticons and flashing icons, and the members' headlines and signatures taking up space.

I totally understand different people liking different websites.

ATP has a much more "modern" look, and recently Dave added some features that make thing fit better on small devices.

You can turn off the emoticons and signature blocks and people's avatars. Use Profile, then Site preferences:

- Show signatures in forum posts?
- Show member avatars?
- Show forum smilies and emoticons?
- Show facebook and other social media widgets?
- Allow ATP to display differently on your mobile devices?

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

I am so mad. I had an actual ride lined up for me AND my scooter to get to Everett, then ended up in southern Arizona at a family thing. Grrrr. I get back to PNW on Monday of course. I'm so bummed.

Darn, I was looking forward to meeting you. Well, family is good too, and there is always next year.
Will post pics.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

I was too. Maybe the midsummer field trip will happen?

I would like that too.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I almost certainly won't be going.

Well, Dang.
I guess I will join up with the folks from the 'other' website then, on Friday.
My sister "momlady" also won't be able to come this year.
Well maybe next year, plus we can hope for a trip to the Arboretum in July.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I am definitely still interested in a trip to the Arboretum in July. I've never been, and I hear it is really beautiful.

There is a garden tour on Vashon June 27 and 28 this year. I plan to go, and if anyone wants to go on journey to the island without having to pay car and driver fees, I am willing to pick up at the ferry dock and take you around.

I work that weekend, drat.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

I'm going to look into that, it sounds lovely.

Bellevue, WA(Zone 8a)

I will be there on Friday morning, promptly at 10 am...I can't stay for more than a couple of hours because I have afternoon meetings that I couldn't get out of...maybe they will be rescheduled for other reasons and I will be off the hook.

I will be at Everett Steel picking up some Garden Art material by probably 8:30 (depending upon traffic). I have already placed/paid for my order, so I shouldn't be there long. Will likely have some time to kill before it starts if anyone will be up there early.

Linda

Bellevue, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh, and I had my NPA garden tour on the last weekend in May - we had over 125 people through the garden for that, plus a private tour of another 15 people on Saturday evening. It was both exhausting and great.

I will be open again in August.

I have been so busy preparing for my tour that I hadn't been able to attend any of the tours. Last weekend I was able to squeeze in speed tours of 3 of 4 of the gardens that were open in Seattle. I really, really like getting to walk through other people's gardens to see what they are growing and how theirs are laid out/decorated.

Bellevue, WA(Zone 8a)

and a question...what is ATP? I have never heard of that...

I CAN relate with issues about scrolling, etc. I do a lot of my DG time on my phone, and for some darned reason, I can't read the farthest right bit of my D-Mail, not even scrolling or turning the screen sideways. It makes it really hard to monitor my trading activity that way. There is no problem when I am on my laptop.

Drat!!!
I have to work Friday, someone had an emergency, so how can I say no.
I could still go to Sorticulture on either Saturday or Sunday instead. in2art could you go on the weekend instead?

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I'd love to see pictures of the Sorticulture event, if people have then to share.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I guess nobody could go to Sorticulture, or have been too busy to post pictures? maybe next time.

It is next time for me and the Vashon garden tours also. I have had an uncomfortable foot sprain from stepping on a rock hidden in the grass of my garden.
I still have hope for an Arboretum visit. Would July 11th or 12th work for anyone?

Hi mhf
The Sorticulture fell through. I ended up going briefly on Saturday afternoon, for a quick trip by myself. I was going to meet some folks from the "other" website on Friday, but at the last minute I had to cover at work for someone who got sick. Rats, this always seems to happen!
Arboretum. I just got my July work schedule, I am working both days that weekend. I have lots of other weekend days off in July though. I could go 19th, 25th or 26? I have lots of weekdays off too. We could possibly entice my sister "momlady" to come down from Bellingham for a trip on the weekend. She hasn't been very active on DG this year as they are trying to sell house and move, but she wanted to come to Sorticulture except she had to paint etc. But now it is on the market so she is freed up some. We need to get her to post photos of her flower gardens, they are splendid this year. They ploughed the vegetable garden under as it was too much work this year. Too bad, looks to be a good year for tomatoes and melons.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I am pretty sure I could do the 24th or 25th. I'd really like to meet people and do a fun excursion.

Either 24th or 25th is fine for both of us. Anyone else?
mhf I can pick you up at the ferry if you want to walk on.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi again,
The 25th is probably better for me, but I still could do either one. I would love to walk on the ferry and ride with you on the other side.

25th sounds good. It's a plan. I don't think there is any food available there, would you like to bring a sack lunch? Or stop at a grocery store for take out?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.