How much rest for young Tigridias?

Göppingen, Germany(Zone 7b)

Last spring I sowed some Tigridia Vanhouttei and kept them in pots through the summer and fall. they may have done better, at least I think the bulbs are still quite small, and so I'm a bit worried about the winter resting phase. I stopped watering and took them inside about 6-8 weeks ago (very late first frost for my 7a). They're completely dry in my basement at about 8-10°C, still in their pots. Now I wonder when I should start to water them again. My grown-up T.Pavonias (bought them as bulbs, never sowed any bulbous plants before) won't get into the ground before end of April, but I fear the tiny bulbs won't make it that long before drying out completely. Has anyone experiences to share?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I haven't grown Tigridia from seed, but some other bulb plants. I was surprised at how well tiny bulbs survived that first dormancy- some smaller than peas, and they were fine (from November through March). Have you looked under the soil to see the size of the bulbs?

just once in my life I didn't want to ruin everything by being nosy - just kidding! I dug up one of those I remember to be rather small, and you're right with pea-size, though the shape isn't round but rather long. The good message: it was firm - not moldy, not brittle, thats somewhat encouraging.

So you think it'll be safe to wait until March? I think I'll give it a try - might be as well to dark for them if I start them before.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL, I know I couldn't have waited to see what was going on underneath the soil! That's what I was thinking- waiting would probably be safer. They usually wake up when days get longer, and waking them earlier may lead to spindly growth (unless you've got good artificial lighting).

minor update: I've started watering the two smallest bulbs about one month ago, but they don't move. once again I got curious, and they still are dormant - no roots, no other growth, but still fleshy and free of mold. looks like they're still waiting for an inner timer - I'don't think it's light-based, as bulbs obviously are rather underground...

The three middle-sized (as in: a bit bigger than a kidney bean) and the one huge (about double size of the middles) are still safe and dry.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

That's good news! Perhaps warmth is what they need to wake up, bottom heat may be helpful. Probably a good idea to allow them to dry between watering too, to avoid any fungal issues.

It's may and I've finally the first tip of one of my Vanhouttei breaking through ground - no Idea why now, but I'm happy!

Now this comes as a surprise: the biggest bulb actually flowers today, in it's second year from seed. The flowers are not big, but actually quite beautiful.

Thumbnail by pmmGarak
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

That is beautiful! Very cool they can bloom the 2nd year from seed!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.