Chickens coughing

Bridgewater, ME

I have a few silkies and showgirls that are coughing,its a quick high pitched cough,no other symptons,this has been going on for a long while.Twice I have given oxytetracycline in the water for 14 days to all of them,the last time about three weeks ago.It has not helped.Today one that has not been coughing was sneezing.I need to get this under control,any sugestions on what to give the entire flock of 40 or so?It will have to be something that I put in the water or food.My coop this time of year is very dusty and that may have something to do with it,plus the cold I`m sure does not help.I also noticed last years chicks that I hatched in the bator from this flock would appear healthy and fine and then at 2 or 3 days they would start chirping loudly and die within an hour or two.If it didn't cost so much I would take one of them to the vet and have blood work done,but it costs way to much.I have always given ACV in the water and some garlic.They have good feed plus veggies and things.Hope someone can suggest something to try.Thanks

This message was edited Jan 15, 2015 12:13 PM

Richmond, TX

I think most respiratory diseases tend to be viral which would explain why the antibiotics had no effect. Since there is no medication for viruses, I would explore ways to damp down the dust and see whether that helps.

Bridgewater, ME

Will try that

Bridgewater, ME

Lost one Sat. I put down straw on top of te shavings and it but the dust a lot.Opened all the vents,it has been warm here the last two days,today 40.but getting cold again tomorrow.I called my vet and told him what is going on and that more of them a coughing and sneezing now,so he asked did I want a farm visit and I said I think it has come to that as I have tried everything I can think of, have them on another med and its not working either.I know this is going to cost me but I cant have all my chickens die.I have about 40.Please pray that they don't have some illness that they all have to be put down or that its something that I wont be able to sell them.I do so good selling that it buys my feed and such.I love hatching and selling.Will let you all know what he says

Richmond, TX

Yes, please keep us informed.

Bridgewater, ME

He has not called back yet,should hear from him tomorrow

(Zone 6b)

Oh, I really hate to hear this.

I had some disease here last year from some birds I bought online and were shipped to me. I was able to separate most of the sick ones out. After they became ill though most of them died. It wasn't fun. Mine were not coughing though.

When I bought the two Wyandotte hens and two ducks in Oklahoma last month and brought them home, I did not put them in with my other chickens for quite some time. I waited about three weeks before I trusted them. Even the ducks, which probably wouldn't carry a disease for chickens. So far, everything here looks okay. They all look and act healthy. I am thankful.

It is really awful when this happens though. :(

I hope you get it under control. I never knew what disease it was that mine had. The vet said he could do hundreds of dollars of lab work if I wanted him to. That sounded like a threat, so instead he gave me Baytril and said that should cure them. It did not. Another man, Dr. Brown, who is supposed to be an expert with chickens sent me Oregano Oil hoping that would help, but it didn't work either. They either got well on their own, or they died.

Green, have you added new chickens or bought hatching eggs recently?

I don't even trust the cages I had the sick birds in. Yes, the virus or whatever has probably died by now, I even poured bleach on them, but I still don't trust them.

Ducks here are doing fine. They have invaded one of the silkie's coop. The man that had the ducks said his chickens and ducks lived together. So, the ducks weren't upset with the chickens, however my silkies seem to cower from these ducks. Kind of like they are saying, "Oh my goodness, what is that? I better keep my head down" and they do. Now, the two new partridge Wyandottes took up residence in there too. They went in with their duck friends that they rode with in the trunk with for six hours coming to their new home. The two Wyandottes cuddle right in with the ducks. Pretty funny. I really like these ducks. They still don't like me yet though.

Green, I hope this isn't too serious.

Bridgewater, ME

No I have not added any new chickens since last Jan. and know the lady I got them form and her chickens are all healthy.I did buy some hatching eggs last summer and they seemed fine.I don't buy chickens to add to my flock just because I am afraid of diease but I have bought hatching eggs.Now that I am thinking about the hatching eggs I did do a trade for some eggs thru a hatching exchange and they were the dirtiest eggs I had ever seen,I did put them under the hen and none hatched,when I contacted the lady about them being so dirty she said you wanted them unwashed,yes I did but really did not expect them to look like that,because mine don't and I had never got eggs that looked like that before.Now I am wondering if that could be the case.Still waiting on the vet to call,I will call in an hour if I have not heard from him.I hate this waiting!

Bridgewater, ME

Called vet,he is coming Friday morning.Maybe the new meds I am giving will start working before then,have been giving them Denegard since sat.

Richmond, TX

I know Denagard is effective for some types of pneumonia in pigs. I have never tried it on chickens. Hope it works!

Bridgewater, ME

The Denagard is working so I canceled the vet to save money,also ordered Tylan to have on hand

Richmond, TX

Whooop, whoop!

(Zone 6b)

Porkpal you are funny!

Yes, so glad it is working.

Bridgewater, ME

I have a couple things with my health that if I get stressed they pop up,and they did,but they are doing better so I will be doing better to

(Zone 6b)

So how are the chickens Green?

Bridgewater, ME

I culled one,they are a lot better but I do hear a cough every now and then,but it could be the dust,I notice it more after they eat scratch which is dusty

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.