CLOSED: Out of season Wood Thrush or something else?

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

This bird has been coming to the suet for about a week now. Very skittish at first. Looks to me like a Wood thrush, but they are not supposed to be here in winter.

Thumbnail by beclu727 Thumbnail by beclu727 Thumbnail by beclu727 Thumbnail by beclu727 Thumbnail by beclu727
(Zone 5a)

I could be off since I am not familiar with thrushes, except for the Robin. But looking at All about birds, this seems to more resemble a Swainson's Thrush because this looks more brown than rust. But again, the winter range is further south.
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/spp_photos.aspx?ss=4&sppid=567&keepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=488&width=875

Sometimes birds do not read the field guides, there are a couple of recent sightings of Brown Thrashers here in Iowa. :)

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

The actual bird is more rust colored than the pictures show. It is so overcast here. Swainson's is a possibility. Also, Hermit Thrush is common here in winter. Just saw that in a field guide. Weird that my GA bird book doesn't list it.

(Zone 5a)

Of the state guides I have used, none of them show every bird in the area. Not sure why, maybe a publisher limitation or something. Sometimes it helps to go to Ebird to see what birds are in the area, because of all the sightings entered, it is more up to date than field guides.

I was wondering if lighting might be a factor. Your middle picture shows a distinct rusty tail which is a marking of the Hermit. Also, the range map shows winter for Georgia.

Maybe another will pop in to say one way or another. :)

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hermit Thrush for me, with that rusty tail; this is also the only "spotted breast" thrush at all likely in the USA in winter.

Resin

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Chilly & Resin.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.