Rose leaves yellowing

Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

I have 3 rose bushes and all are blooming nicely, but one bush has yellowing leaves and they eventually drop.
I see no sign of insects. The bush is is a Floribunda, Julia Child. It has been in the ground for a few months. Other roses are in the same area but in opposite corners of a17' by 7' bed. All are in full sun. The bed is mulched with bark chips. Any ideas or suggestions.

Thumbnail by dmwade Thumbnail by dmwade
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Could it just be losing its leaves because of the time of year? Most roses are deciduous so if they were going to drop their leaves now would be about the time - as many trees are dropping their leaves too right now.
It was quite cold for a good period a couple of weeks ago, so maybe it is just natural?

Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

Hope you are right. This is my first full winter here, moved here in July, so everything seems odd to me. I also have iris blooming now. It is so great to not have iris borers!
Thanks for your thoughts.
Dee

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Dee - This is perfectly normal for this time of year! You may also consider pruning the roses all the way back until there are no leaves left! Make sure you leave as many branches as possible but definately get rid of all the foliage. (They come back very quickly. I always pruned mine back to and 12-15 inches off the ground and I had some that were 6 feet tall. I did this yearly and the roses were beautiful. Carrying last years foliage may also carry diseases for the previous growing season. I also fertilized around the 1st of March to promote the new growth and spring blooms.

Although we may not have Iris Borers we do have Rose borers. When pruning if you see a branch that has been hollowed out you can seal it with some elmers glue.

I hope this helps!

Don

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.