Brrrr

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Is everyone enjoying the cold weather? This morning was the coldest air at -22F that we've experienced since last winter and maybe longer. I'm guessing some of you are still able to go outside and dig in the soil, which makes me envious. My spouse grows seeds under lights (perennials and herbs mainly) and received her first shipment of seeds from a company called Pinetree Garden Seeds located in Maine. She also surprised me with several garden books she ordered from them, which should help with the long, cold nights. I don't do much with seeds, but the more cantankerous I get during winter is pushing me in that direction. I think it's time to start thinking seriously about a greenhouse addition off the south end of the house.

My little hobby GH has preserved my sanity during the winter. Being able to actively play in dirt in January is a life saver.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Pseudo I bet you would really enjoy playing around with seed starting and propagation in general. I know I am (but now it's sunny today and should get to mid 40s!) and I may go outside later instead of planting all the seeds I got... I am lucky is is so mild here, I had a few blooms still in Dec, and now the Hellebores and witch hazels are getting started.
It's really fun for crazy people like us to read about and try starting plants from seed. Also in the winter you can do cuttings, either in the house or under cover outside or in greenhouse. You are so lucky to have a spouse who also likes gardening, but beware you might get in fights over greenhouse space! When you build it half could be painted "his" colors and half "hers" colors, so it is clear who gets what shelf!

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh the other thing to do when it is so cold, is to work on your winter tree identification skills. I think some are actually easier in the winter. I have a few books and keys for winter ID.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Geez, Pseudo, that's terrible! I would say a greenhouse is definitely in order.

I have been direct sowing lots of native wildflower seeds because many of them require up to 90 days of cold, moist stratification to germinate. We're getting plenty of that this year!

After I finish with the seed sowing, I've got a few perennials to move around while they're still dormant, and I'd like to remove some Forsythia to make room for native berry-producing shrubs.
It's been down in the 'teens at night recently, but we haven't had much snow so I can still dig in my yard.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

My envy is now full blown jealousy! We only have 4-6" of snow cover, and with the cold temps we've had the past few weeks I'm guessing the frost is a few feet deep. I suppose I could get one of those devices used by contractors to thaw frozen ground and try planting in winter. That would give the neighbors something to talk about.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Whenever I want to do something the neighbors might think is crazy, I tell myself that they probably think I'm totally nuts already so there's nowhere to go but up!

Have you tried to dig? Maybe you should get one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/ROCKFORGE-72-in-San-Angelo-Digging-Bar-GXB-450/202520451?N=5yc1vZc5qy

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

If there are insane people sitting on top of lakes waiting for a frozen fish to bite, I would say that your ground is probably a bit cold still for your plants. Brings to mind stories of Ashwaubenon sitting an hour north of me tonite. Betting on how soon odd items will thaw out enough to sink.
Even a mini gh would help the spring fever, stay away from Florida tho- the shock at returning to winter after a visit there is truly depressing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.