Would this actually work?

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Viewed an article on reproducing amaryllis. It showed what appears to be a drastic measure to reproduce bulbs .

The mother bulb is split vertically into 4 quarters (each with a small amount of root plate). The article claimed each quarter will develop into a bulb that will bloom next season.

Will such drastic measures actually work?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Ive never tried but I have been meaning to get a cheap bulb I will quarter, just to experiment. don't know of anybody that has actually done it but have read about it many times.

This could be one of those wives tales like the one that if you use mushroom compost you will get your soil too high in sodium. Do you know how many truckloads it would take to accomplish that? a gazillion. Now, if you soil is already saline, perhaps not a good idea to use mushroom compost. But for the rest of us, no biggie.

Ocean Springs, MS

I've never heard of it, but I agree with vossner. I'd use a cheap bulb to try it first. Too bad Walmart is too stingy to mark down their Christmas amaryllis bulbs. I was in there last week and they were still selling them full price!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I think, at least in my area, that sellers have caught on to the fact that there is nothing wrong with sprouted bulbs and that SOMEBODY will still want them so no need to slash the price. Additionally, at least in my area, the nice nurseries pot their unsold bulbs and try to sell again in Spring when in bloom, commanding an even higher price.

My score this year was $5 amaryllis bulbs at Office Depot, of all places. I don't know of anybody that would consider OD their "go to" place for amaryllises, lol. Anyway, I got a few Red Lion and a few Minervas. A cluster of these here and there are always welcome. They were BIG bulbs too. I did get a couple of fancy ones thru Color Blends but I'm not buying hippies anymore, though I will hang out at Office Depot next year.....

Wonder if Auto Zone has gotten into amaryllis selling, hmmmm.

Ocean Springs, MS

I guess I'll join you on that hunt at Office Depot! LOL

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Walmart here had Minerva and Red Lion for $5, alone or as a kit. Nothing to brag about size wise, but did make multiple bloom stalks.

I am waiting in vain for reductions as well. LOL

Munster, IN(Zone 5b)

I got 3 bulbs for $3.00 each from Parks's online in a flash sale shortly before Christmas. They were huge bulbs, and 2 already have buds showing. They had some very pale shoots when they got to me, but greened up once potted. I can't wait to see the blooms!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.