in bloom now

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Here are three orchids now in bloom. Slc. Fire Magic 'Nora' is still opening all her buds and C. maxima var 'Highland' has one bud to open. The 'Emerald Isle' has been in bloom for three weeks and its fragrance is awesome!

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

My Phal 'Golden Embers' is spiking! I've had it a year and haven't killed it yet! (I'm a phal. killer).

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

The first is the Rlc. Ports of Paradise 'Emerald Isle', one of my most "valuable" orchids. It is a FCC/AOS award winner.

The second one is the C. maxima v. semi alba (new name and it is a species plant)

The third one is the Slc. Fire Magic 'Nora'

Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43
Mount Sterling, KY(Zone 6b)

Ken, I think Emerald Isle is my favorite! Love that color!
Annette

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

That is the one that everyone wants. I haven't been able to find it grown commercially for years. The only way I have any for sell is when my "Mother" orchid is big enough to divide. I might get two divisions. I also keep the mother plant.

Ken

Well that figures, lol, I have discriminating tastes. But seriously it is a beautiful color. So I guess that one fetches a pretty price when you sell one, huh? I bought a Cymbidium Orchid yesterday, never had one before, bur I thought I would give it a whirl, since I found one on sale. Some of of them had 5 sprays of blooms, with 7-10 flowers on each one. I just couldn't resist Talk about a "wow" factor. I understand they can be planted in the ground in dappled Sunlight/shade. So if I can find a place the guy that mows won't weedeat it level with the ground, I may plant it in the front flower bed. He whacked down my Dwarf Irises, he has no idea how close he came to dying. lol

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I have only grown a handful of Cymbidium orchids, more as a "Let's see what this looks like". They can be planted in the ground but you want to have very open, very well-draining soil. I don't think they will take the heavy frosts/freezes y'all have up there though.

Annette, I will send you a D-Mail about my (tiny) business and the 'Emerald Isle' specifically. Thanks for liking the orchid.

Ken

I am sure the cymbidium will have to be lifted in the fall, just like my other tender perennials. I will have to amend then soil where I plant it. I read that I can recycle the old potting mix out of the other orchids when I repot them , for that. Apparently they like more organic matter in their soil. I am flying blind as usual, lol. With a little luck maybe I won't crash and burn.
Thanks Ken.

Annette

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

My pleasure. I should be thanking you, Annette.

Ken

Garrettsville, OH

Absolutely stunning! I have to concur with Annette. Emerald Isle is breathtaking.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Thank you, Punk63. The fragrance is as nice as the color.

Ken

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, it is gorgeous.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.