Home projects for winter

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

oh no, missingrosie...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

BIG stepping stones? careful, though---they would be slippery...

I could contribute 2 yellow and one blue....

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes Holly......that toilet is DARK brown....like looking into a black hole .....he thought it was masculine -- back in the 60's - early 70's.

And WORSE......the tub with its sliding shower doors is inches away from the toilet bowl ...running alongside it.....

So any person USING the commode....has his or her mirrored image sitting alongside for company.

Mark decided to put new valves under the new sink and fix a leaking one in another bathroom while he was in solder mode. See why he has said if we bought another house it would be new?

I was going to start painting with a little Killz last night, then discovered we must have trashed all the crappy brushes after the last job and said we'd buy new. Is there some psychic universe thing where every job takes five trips to the hardware store?

He's still finishing the plumbing job, and I'm kind of glad he's occupied, library was very busy today!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I am finally done being sick and no errands to run tomorrow. Got out all the tools this morning, Ric finished cleaning the stairway a few days ago and I have nothing to do and nowhere to go tomorrow so my plan is to get up and get started.

Nothing like a gal with a plan!

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm glad you're feeling better, Holly. We're looking forward to seeing your spackle sculptures : - )

We've had to go to HD 3 times already to get supplies for painting 1 room, and it's not done yet. I want to blame something other than my rusty painting skills; psychic universe sounds good enough!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Muddy--
If it helps--Home depot thanks you for your patronage.

:o)

haha! I always think of you GIta when I am in my local HD. I always compare the staff to your standards of customer service.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Haha...psychic universe! I too find it necessary to make several trips to Home Depot. Perhaps it's poor planning on my part.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, Ric just ran out to our local Hardware store to get me newer drywall tape.
I started this morning, I must say that although I am "doing the work". I don't think I could get anything done without Ric. Started out by asking him to open the new bucket of mud, then he thought I needed better light so he changed out the bulb for a brighter one and went and found me a extra work light and got that set up. Brought me my inhaler, he thought that I should have a bottle of water and my cell phone in case I needed him while he was working in the barn, so he brought them, too. Went and got me the 4ft ladder when I realized that my step stool although tall enough had no place to set my mud pan so I was stepping up and down every time I needed to set it down, a small table to set my tools up on and a crate to sit on when I work the bottom of the wall. Last by not least run to the hardware when I decided that the old tape we had wasn't really good to use.
Ric just loves it when " I " start a project. LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly--

We all know he is a real sweetheart--and always helpful to everyone.

You two are the prototype of what a marriage should be like...as well as
the rewards of good, loving parenting produces. Holly--You rock!!!!

G.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Gita, and you too dear.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Woohoo!! You make a great team!

The man behind the woman ☺️😉

haha cute

Mark is diving right in on the bathroom job. Yay! Getting ready to paint. Valspar Churchill Hotel Beige, what a boring name.

I wish those paints didn't have names. I sometimes am influenced by the same and it is crazy when we know the color is the right one!

I wish those paints didn't have names. I sometimes am influenced by the name and it is crazy when we know the color is the right one!

This message was edited Jan 24, 2015 1:07 PM

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Paint names are very unhelpful, IMO. Case in point: http://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Premium-Plus-8-oz-780D-6-Witch-Hazel-Interior-Exterior-Paint-Sample-780D-6PP/202179223
Witch Hazel is an intriguing name, but what on earth does that color have to do with the plant?!

As I was covering off-white walls, I was worried that my "Provence Creme" paint was more yellow than "creme". It looks okay now, though. The floor is installed and all I have to do is paint the baseboard trim and doors.

We took the doors down and I want to paint them before putting them back up. The question is where? I'd like to paint them in my unheated garage - what temp is too low?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Muddy, when I was a House Painter, temps were above 50 degrees better at 60. Paint does not spread or brush as well at cooler temps. let paint warm to room temp if it is cold. It probably says something about temps on the can in fine print. Most interior paint is assumed to be applied at room temperature 65-75. Oil base, water base or acrylic will vary in best temps for application.
Are you brushing or rolling your doors? Flat. semi gloss or gloss? Cooler temps of unheated area mean longer drying times between coats or handling. HTH

That witch hazel is really a meaningless name!

Sigh, this paint color is wimpier than I wanted. Hope it deepens a hair on second coat, and has enough contrast with the white fixtures.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I googled it and I think it's a nice color, Sally. It'll have plenty of contrast with white. Live with it for a while and add a coat of darker paint if you don't like it.

Coleup, thanks. I guess I'll paint them in our mudroom instead and be extra careful. I'm going to roll the wall paint on the flat panel closet doors. The room door has a fake wood grain texture, so I'll use a brush on that and paint it glossy white like the trim.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I stopped at HD on the way home from work and got a bunch of supplies for this weekend although I might not get to do too much painting. I still have a lot of spackling to do and sand before any real painting can be done. Our wall paint name is Pacific Pine Sage.

aw, see, Darcy got a tree name color, how sweet of her!
I think my computer is doing something weird, this pacific pines sage Glidden page looks the same as the Witch Hazel one I clicked earlier from Muddy.- grey.

Oh, now I found a Behr Pacific Pine nice green

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Lol...thanks. It's technically a Glidden color but we got it in Behr paint. Ours is satin finish.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Look at the "oops" paint cans whenever you go to HD.
May find a color you can live with. Those cost $5 per gallon--$2 per quart.
These are, usually, behind the main paint counter--like near the back somewhere.

Most "OOOps" paints are returns from people because they did not like the color.
Nothing else wrong with them.
You can ask and see if they would lighten up the color or add some of the
toners to change to tone. In our store--they would do this for you.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Pacific Pines Sage isn't the same as Pacific Pine is it, Seq? I found the color, but I couldn't copy the link. It's a very nice color!

I just spotted one of those half-finished jobs that are easy to forgot about: There's an area in our entrance way that was spackled and sanded, maybe even primed, but not painted...at least not with the right color.

Gita, that's good advice.
I checked for oops before buying because it is such a small room. They had very few that day. Probably they have to throw some away at times so they don't pile up.
I didn't know you could ask to darken the color. Unfortunately, I work today, Mark would like to do another coat and be done, so I'll just live with it.

Funny hw you can live with undone details for ages and barely notice them Muddy!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--
You can ask....doesn't mean they will do it...It would fall in the "favor" category.
It is up to the person--how busy they are...etc

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

It might be the same color Muddy. I think all these color names are goofy some times. I know what you mean about living with undone details. We re-did our bathroom in April of '12. Everything was done except for the trim. The trim got done in August of that year...Lol

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Mike and I have been starting and stopping on that basement stairwell project for the last few weeks. It took a lot more thought to figure out how to lay out the wainscoting, chairrail, and handrail than I expected. Too many questions and not enough experience with staircases. One of his carpenter friends offered to come out to help lay it out after we were stumped a few weeks ago. He has been busy though, so I've had time to keep thinking, and I finally have it figured out.

The first confusion came on how to measure the height because the height from each step is different. I figured out to just measure a height from the edge of the bottom step, then the same height from the edge of the top step, and snap a chalk line. Then we had discussion on whether the chairrail should be above or below the handrail. I said above, Mike said below. I googled images and everything that I saw was above. Then we had to decide on the actual height for the top of the chairrail - too high would look out of proportion with the 36" height around the rest of the basement - too low would be too close for being able to grip the handrail. Decided on chairrail height at 42". Code for handrail height is 31 to 34". Even as short as I am, the handrail feels more comfortable at the 34 - 36" height so 42" for the chairrail seems about right.

We finally got all of this decided and the first side laid out this morning. It took a lot of back and forth to the garage, shed, Mike's work shop a few miles down the road, and HD before we got all the tools and materials gathered. Unbelievable how much back and forth it is to really get going. We started at 7:00am, and now 6 hours later we finally have momentum LOL.

My part of figuring and laying it all out is done, so I'm taking a break while Mike is cutting and gluing the 4" wide beaded board tongue and groove wainscot pieces.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2015 3:36 AM

wow Terri, sounds like a lot of details! Good for you sticking it out..

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

...and good for you for making sure the handrails were comfortable for you. It's got to feel right. Are you putting in a staircase, or finishing one?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Muddy, we finished off half of the basement in 1998 with a goal of getting it done in time for a New Year's Eve party. We actually finished plumbing the toilet about 2 hours before the party started - nothing like a deadline LOL. Once the party was over, we never got around to finishing up the odds and ends. After 15+ years, I think it is about time. The basement has a beaded board wainscot and chairrail, but one of the loose ends is continuing it up the staircase. When we get this done, there are about 10 more little projects down here that were never done either.

Muddy have you been to AspenHill yet? it is a most gorgeous place despite all Terri's claims of unfinished projects.

Oh yes you were there! I remember now.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I saw Terri's beautiful gardens, but all I saw of the inside was the kitchen. Next time!

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow Terri, that sounds really difficult. If I were cutting wainscoting for a stairwell it would be all crooked and such...haha

Well I was covered with so much drywall dust today, when I walked, it was like I was Pigpen from Charlie Brown. Lots more sanding and spackling to do...ugh. I'm hoping to paint some kills on the wainscoting and all the fresh trim we had put up tomorrow but we'll see.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.